Australian flooding

What's right or wrong with your (the?) world!

Moderator: Graz

Australian flooding

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:11 am

How are our Australian friends doing?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Re: Australian flooding

Postby Ralph on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks for asking
Australia's a big place on Christmas day - one part of the country had bush fires, another had snow and we had rain and flooding.

The main flooding is about 1000km away in central Queensland (Rockhampton, Emerald).
We (Murwillumbah Northern NSW) had a record rainfall for December (only 2 days of sunshine) and with local inconvenience flooding. A really heavy rain would have brought serious flooding.

A reworded carol:

We're sad at Christmas, a very wet Christmas,
The rain's not stopped falling, we can't go and play
We're too glum for carols about the good Christ child,
O God, send us sunshine for our holiday.

A few photos for your enjoyment.

My nephew and nieces at the entrance to our yard.
Driveway1.jpg
Driveway1.jpg (83.43 KiB) Viewed 10198 times

The river that goes around the farm. There is a bridge here - about 4m under water.
River1.jpg
River1.jpg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 10198 times

With all the rain and humidity you need to watch out for leeches
Leeches.jpg
With all the rain and humidity you need to watch out for leeches
Leeches.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 10198 times

HNY
Ralph
I don't drink too much coffee - you're listening too slowly.
Ralph

Postby joseph on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:19 am

Ralph - very glad to hear you are ok! Happy New Year. The flooding certainly looked catastrophic on BBC and CNN - described as biblical in magnitude.... I guess you Aussies are a pretty tough bunch to call it "inconvenience flooding". All the best for 2011.

Joseph
joseph

Postby Ralph on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:49 am

joseph wrote:Ralph - very glad to hear you are ok! Happy New Year. The flooding certainly looked catastrophic on BBC and CNN - described as biblical in magnitude.... I guess you Aussies are a pretty tough bunch to call it "inconvenience flooding". All the best for 2011.

Joseph

The area where are is not the major flooding. That is about 800 - 1000 km to the north of us. We only caught the tail end of the rain depression.

Ralph
Ralph

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks for the photo's and first hand report Ralph. Hope things work out not to bad for you.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby geddie on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Ralph,

Dang, Australia really IS a big place! Where is Graz located relative to the heavy flooding? Hopefully, he's just wet like you are and not completely washed out to sea :!: :
geddie

Postby Graz on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 am

Still Alive, thank GOD!!!

Many having a bad time a bit further up (Emerald, Rocky etc), and some further in. Here on the Sunshine Coast (where it always rains) it's been raining for a few months!!! Very few dry days, no real stress here really. I am on a hill here and so most rain drains away, but the lower workshop has taken on some water to one section, and is a bog around it! Muddy boots are part of a days machining, as are some occasional flood detours on the roads. No worries, not like the poor people on the further up lowlands that have lost their houses and livelihoods, scary.

Personally I love rain as it fills my water tanks, but too many days without sun cuts down your vitamin D, and puts a downer on things!

Rain aside I have been having some fun lately, and will soon share some news for 2011, something ***NEW*** soon to be available for people. More later 8-)

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Ralph on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am

At the risk of being patronising, I have prepared a map of the eastern seaboard of Australia showing where Graz, myself and the flooding is.
Australia is a remarkably flat country, with rivers going for hundreds of kilometres without much drop in altitude. It is possible for heavy rain to cause flooding kilometres downstream where there is drought (not in this case though).
Oz Map.jpg
Oz Map.jpg (129.38 KiB) Viewed 10182 times

Ralph
Ralph

Postby MattC on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Graz wrote:Rain aside I have been having some fun lately, and will soon share some news for 2011, something ***NEW*** soon to be available for people. More later 8-)

Take care - Graz

Look forward to hearing about it.
MattC

Postby geddie on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Whew!! Can't lose our ribbon maker :!: :!:
geddie

Postby Graz on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Rain still not letting up, official reports for the area reckon 8-12" in the last day, similar over the last few days. As of yesterday my subburb officially became cut off, an island! Tried getting out in the car, all routes blocked too deep to drive through...

My email computer seems to have failed, and I can't solve it. We have had several power outages the last few days and it didn't recover from one yesterday. This computer I am using now has browser access, no email - please be patient! When I can get to the repairers or vice versa I will sort it...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby JarreYuri on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Graz wrote:Rain still not letting up. As of yesterday my subburb officially became cut off, an island! Tried getting out in the car, all routes blocked too deep to drive through...

My email computer seems to have failed, and I can't solve it. We have had several power outages the last few days and it didn't recover from one yesterday. This computer I am using now has browser access, no email - please be patient! When I can get to the repairers or vice versa I will sort it...

Take care - Graz

Oh boy!

Hang in there! :(
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby Roy Waugh on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 pm

YIKES!!! 8-12 inches in the last day? Better hunker down becasue you're not getting off that "island" anytime soon. Most likely will see the water continue to rise and no subsidence until all of the rainfall from the upper basin passes through your area. Forget about email - that can be fixed, just be careful.

RW
Roy Waugh

Postby Ralph on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 am

It's not over yet.
The rain still hasn't stopped. All our local rivers are full and the ground is sodden.
Flash flooding could occur with any major downpour.
Toowomba (just to the west of Brisbane - see map above) got hit quite badly yesterday.
http://www.tweednews.com.au/photos/galleries/flooding-hits-toowoomba-101
Both Graz & myself are above flood levels, so we should be alright.
Our local communities are being affected. I live amongst sugar cane farms and a lot of cane is water logged, stunting their growth. A strong wind would blow the crop over, wiping out most of the harvest for this year.

Ralph
Ralph

Postby Graz on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 am

Since 9am we have had 4-6" (4 hours). Thunderstorms, out for a look about last night and I saw my first "thunderball" - odd like somebody bouncing lightening off the road in front of me (100-200m). Shared me "witless" for a few seconds, very sudden!!

This has to be said. For years they have been playing games down here, saying that the dams need more water and that it doesn't rain here. Unless the dams are within inches of the top they run a fear campaign to say we will run out! Locally this was justification for a desalination plant to be built (plans for more). This sits idle at a cost of nearly $2m per year from public money.

It rains a lot here (normally), we are well looked after for rain! When the dams are left to do their job things work well. When their function is "messed with" there will be problems. One dam had a rubber bladder-wall fitted to the top edge to say it wasn't full! This broke in 2008 and the sudden torrent swept a young child to her death. No need for that.

Here the dams primary use (water safety) has been perverted in my humble opinion to accommodate un-required infrastructure spending, and some say motives are deeper, easy to believe...

We are sealed in here, phones are down (why?) - though strangely internet is fine so long as the power holds. Power has been failing often, more often here as there has been local flood catchment here, but I have dug drainage trenches for that today, so all outages are "theirs" now :?

All the while I have power I can make things and will continue to fill orders in preparation for sending when the water is lower. Personally, at this time we are all safe, well, dry when inside, thank GOD!

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Ralph on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:11 am

There are now flood warnings current for Brisbane. They are expecting a flood equivalent to the one they had in 1974 (one of the biggest last century).
The area in flood in Queensland in now equivalent to the area of Germany and France combined.
Graz - just phoned you a minute ago, it went straight to answering machine.

Ralph
Ralph

Postby geddie on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 am

I can't begin to comprehend this! How can so much rain fall in such a concentrated area? Don't the clouds ever move on and carry the rainfall to somewhere else in the continent? Does a mountain range exist nearby which causes the clouds to lose their water as they pass over the mountains? What's unusual about the topology there? What are your meterologists saying about the crazy weather?

In short, what the heck is going on??
geddie

Postby geddie on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 am

Ah, ha! Apparently La Nina is causing all of this ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/n ... 340513.stm
geddie

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 am

The Dutch have some experience with fighting water but what you guys go through is scary!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Graz on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 am

You Dutch guys LIVE underwater but for what is in reality a frail man-made wall!!! Now that is scary :o

Hey Ralph - OK up here, phones pack now.

Lower (woodwork) shop flooded with mud. Could be worse looking at the news though. No point in cleaning til this game is over...

The guys feeling it in Brisbane could have been spared a lot if they had only kept the dams down from (over) 100% aproaching this. Games.

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Rube on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 am

Graeme and Ralph:

You guys and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear you are OK (have been thinking of you!). Thanks for keeping us up to date on your status; we certainly care!!!! (and NOT because of ribbons!)

rube
Rube

Postby geddie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 am

The flooding is now being called the worst natural disaster in Australia's history. Unbelievable how widespread the waters were!!!
geddie

Postby Graz on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Big games down here. Catchment (protection) dams being fed up over months (stats easily seen online) to dangerous levels. Particularly the last 3 months.

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/dam-level/qld/

New water co taken over the lot this last few months, unpoplular move. Same all down the east coast, Adelaide in the south showing similar numbers. Toowoomba's (inland an hours drive from Brisbane) head suit bragging how well stocked the dams were on the 7th Jan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 109683.htm

Just before they overflowed with death and destruction. Nobody's talking about that on tv of course, though many are on the web.

Today the process repeats in Victoria, blue sky dam dump floods, and the same policy set keeps Brisbane's (and others) dams high, even water restrictions! King tide here on Thursday/Fri. Blue Skys here since Thursday - any significant storm over the full catchment will repeat the flood.

Related? Some say. Strangely enough there there was a release of some lab mosquitoes just before, up the coast where the overflow stuff started in Rocky. That mosquito experiment has ideal conditions. Rockhampton dams have never been allowed to be filled up before to overflow, not in over 45 years. Strange stuff happening down here - all imho.

Work continues here, though some weather issues have slowed me down. Email back on line on another pc. Still no parts up for my main one. Power stable now, I will get through email and calls this week hopefully. Brisbane Airport was under water the last few days, international post will be back on line in the next day or so I would guess. I have held back sending anything out the last week to avoid packages being in flooded mail centres.

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Ralph on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Found this site with recent date aerial photos:
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.468907,153.025475&z=14&t=h

Ralph
Ralph

Postby geddie on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 am

Queensland Launches Inquiry into Flooding:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12204001
geddie

Postby Mike37 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Graeme and Ralph,

First the floods, now the cyclone! Do hope you guys are OK.
Just can't imagine what you are going through.
Best wishes,
Mike
Mike37

Postby Ralph on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Mike37 wrote:Graeme and Ralph,

First the floods, now the cyclone! Do hope you guys are OK.
Just can't imagine what you are going through.
Best wishes,
Mike

Thanks Mike
Both Graeme & myself are to the south of the cyclone and are not affected. We may get some rain out of it, if it moves south.
The people of Northern Queensland (Cairns / Townsville) are really copping it. Widespread damage to crops - mainly sugar cane and bananas.
Buildings in the area are built to very high construction standards (cyclone ratings apply) and it initially appears that there is no widespread building damage, at least not like in the US with Hurricane Katrina.
We shall see over the next few hours.

Ralph
Ralph

Postby Graz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 am

Thanks for thinking of us Mike, appreciated! Dry down here, thank GOD - many not faring so well.

Lots happening in Australia, some natural - some not so...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Ralph on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 am

Maybe I should start a new thread - "Australian flooding 2012" :shock:

We've just had local flooding (again) - no damage, but we are expecting 200mm of rain tonight.
Here's the entrance to our property:

Gate.jpg
Gate.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 9162 times

You can just see the mailboxes above the water in the bottom left.

Ralph
Ralph

Postby Graz on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 am

At least they haven't decided to drop the dams this year - yet!

Apparently 300mm (12") in the last 24 hours around here. Was briefly an island yesterday, no worries thank God!!

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Return to Seriously off topic