DELETED POSTS FROM AUDIO KARMA

Discussion area for our Infinity cousins

Moderator: Graz

DELETED POSTS FROM AUDIO KARMA

Postby Graz on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 am

It seems this subject needs it's own thread, and I am willing to host it.

Cut and paste - and tell your friends in PM's on AK. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Re: DELETED POSTS FROM AUDIO KARMA

Postby Graz on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 am

Memories of 2008 come flooding back:music:

There was a real learning curve about the driver I picked as it looked to be the hardest of the bunch, the biggest one being the tolerances!!! That's why what I offered last year differed from any of the early EMIM variants.

Useful stats - I made one batch of 90, of which 26 were consumed as tests/proto's, 2 are retained for reference, 62 with Infinity owners now. The 62 were taken over almost a year, with generally good feedback.

By request I have scheduled a second batch (begun), though they probably will never see full allocation from past experience. Incidentally - another 2 of these batches would have seen break-even on the project but I am a realist. Rumours of my "EMIM financed" Lamborghini collection are greatly exaggerated:D

Originally Infinity had Japanese electronics houses build their drivers to order in large batches, for actual production runs of speakers. Re-manufacture of the diaphragms on a low volume scale is actually quite expensive to do, especially making huge batches that essentially have to be held in stock indefinitely, done instead of work immediately required.

I was one of the manufacturers Patrik requested to make Infinity drivers for him to re-sell, and for (obvious to me) reasons had to decline. I found the costs of making the basic early EMIM's higher than my worst anticipation of the task, and can honestly say there is no room for a middle-man reseller. Another (established) reseller contacted me in 2009 and we agreed the same from the numbers/costs I shared.

Other Infinity parts. Again - the cost to make is high. One kind AK gentleman sent me an L-EMIM last year for evaluation, and I actually have patterned it. They are interesting drivers, comprising many parts that are actually resilient and re-useable in a rebuild, whilst being hideously expensive to tool up for and make as a complete unit in small numbers. The only 2 moving parts that fail in these drivers are the actual ribbon and the felt. If the driver is de-constructed, a new ribbon and felt fitted, then reconstructed the driver would be as new. 3 enquirers so far, nobody willing to commit. No worries on my part :)

EMIT's are easier - but they are a driver that can certainly benefit from a bit of redesigning. In their original form they would cost a lot and require a huge (probably 1000+) production batch, and in light of the EMIM real results it seems crazy to do them at this time.

HE-EMIM's - I have had 4 enquiries, 2 promises to send, one did and asked for them back right after because he wanted to sell his speakers, and the other never sent the ribbon parts (dead parts). If somebody sends them, they can be done, but I would assume after nearly 3 years of chatter nobody really needs them.

Some "little projects" can end up taking a lot of time!!

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Return to Classic Infinity open chat area