DIY Hybrid revisted

Idea for an open source project started for fun on the DIYAUDIO forum in Feb 2016!

Moderator: Graz

DIY Hybrid revisted

Postby MattC on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi all,

As I ponder the possibility that my Duetta Sigs are too large and unwieldy to either move cross-country or use in the smaller space that I will likely end up in in retirement, I have considered the possibility of picking up a pair of older Apogee hybrids - either Centaur or Slant variety. The thing that gives one pause is the reality that the woofers used in these units are not replaceable anymore, and if a woofer went due to age or accident, one would be completely out of luck.

Seeing how there are so many speaker kits available today, and speaker building resources in general, a number of them using small ribbon tweeters, I began to imagine the potential market for a DIY Centaur or Slant that would utilize current model woofers, upgraded crossovers, and current production GRAZ ribbon tweeter elements.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing like a loudspeaker with a long dipole tweeter.
MattC

Re: DIY Hybrid revisted

Postby apogee_admin on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 am

Hi Matt,

There are replacement woofer alternatives for the Centaur speakers, which at most would require a minor alteration to the crossover, possibly not at all.
I have someone who is considering it on Centaur Minors as it is a better drive unit, so if they do will update with info here.

Driver is available from Madisound http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/se ... ne-woofer/
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Matt, do you have any experience listening to the hybrids?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby MattC on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Vansloneker wrote:Matt, do you have any experience listening to the hybrids?

Yep. I used to own Minors. Hated them - but hated them in comparison to Calipers and Duettas.

I wouldn't go for the Minors myself, the tonal balance was too bright. I would be looking more at a Centaur.

I also think that the future will involve some sort of room equalization software, like KEF has built into their LS50W wireless speakers.
MattC

Postby MattC on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:06 pm

apogee_admin wrote:Hi Matt,

There are replacement woofer alternatives for the Centaur speakers, which at most would require a minor alteration to the crossover, possibly not at all.
I have someone who is considering it on Centaur Minors as it is a better drive unit, so if they do will update with info here.

Driver is available from Madisound http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/se ... ne-woofer/

Thanks, Jon. I will keep this in mind if I go in that direction.
MattC

Return to 2016 DIY Hybrid - Project from diyaudio.com