Basic figures for Caliper placement

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Basic figures for Caliper placement

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:10 pm

What are the basic figures for Caliper placement: distance apart and from the rear wall?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Re: Basic figures for Caliper placement

Postby apogee_admin on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Not an exact science as it depends on your room size.

I would say generally minimum 1m from rear wall, and not too close to side walls so you don't trap the back wave. The distance to the back wall x2 will equal the wavelength at where you will get a cancellation effect so if you get lucky a particular distance will null a room mode.

Rear wall spacing 1/3rd 1/5th 1/7th etc of room length will minimise room modes.

Something approaching an equilateral triangle placement where the distance between the centreline of the mid tweeters is roughly the distance to the speakers.

Toe-in can be subjective, I adjust toe-in until the centre image is solid but not to the detriment of overall imaging, can be more than 1/2" 10mm Apogee suggest in smaller rooms. Tilt back will change the tonal balance, the more upright the brighter the balance as a general rule.
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 am

Thank you Jon.

The part of the room they are has the walls 813cm apart. So for room mode a distance to the rear wall of (813/7=) 116cm would be fine I understand.

Tilt back as straight up as I dare to.

I am used to a listening distance of 2.5 to 2.75 meters. Wouldn't that put them very wide apart?
Or the other way, suppose I put them about 1.8 meters apart, that would have to be the listening distance?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby apogee_admin on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:19 am

As I said it's not an exact science, but 2.5m or so apart sounds about right to me, try it and see.
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks Jon for helping me with this starting point.
I will give it a try.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby d-vize on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Rear wall spacing 1/3rd 1/5th 1/7th etc of room length will minimise room modes.

Is this a general rule, which would also apply for hybrid models (Centaur). Hybrids have no or less direct lower frequency output to the backside.
d-vize

Postby apogee_admin on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:39 pm

The rule should work for all speakers. I played around with positioning of my Perigee hybrids and found the most even sounding place had the front plane of the speaker on the 1/5th division of the room.

It can only really effect the low frequencies where the wavelength is long enough to be relevant compared to the room size.
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby d-vize on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks!
d-vize

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I've been able to move back the Centaurs to the approximate ideal distance from the rear wall and after a couple of listening sessions I consider this a vast improvement.

Thinking of what Jon said about toe-in, for the heck of it I just adjusted toe-in from very little to just under 1cm. And it's not bad at all!
Thanks again Jon!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Return to Apogee speaker chat