Subwoofer recommendations?

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Subwoofer recommendations?

Postby EldRick on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 pm

There is an older thread on this topic, but it's years out of date.
I'm using a pair of Graz' Duetta Signatures, recently upgraded/re-ribboned/re-crossovered by Rich Murry. They sound terrific, and now I'm wondering what sub would be a good match.
My room is about 300 sq. ft., but opens at each end into another room, so that saps some bass, as do my Tube Traps for reflection control.
Can anyone recommend a powered single subwoofer that's a good match for the Duetta woofer panels to fill in the lowest musical octave down to 20Hz or so?
Graz/Rich'ed Duetta Sigs, Parasound JC-1s, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, trick wires and all that other stuff.
EldRick

Re: Subwoofer recommendations?

Postby EldRick on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:46 pm

A couple dozen views, and zero opinions?
Hard to believe… Come on, guys.
Graz/Rich'ed Duetta Sigs, Parasound JC-1s, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, trick wires and all that other stuff.
EldRick

Postby Zardoz on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:17 pm

I hesitated to respond since I don't use a sub with my Diva's, or my previous Duette's, but I would think for your room size that you would not need subs. My room is 15x20, so about the same as yours although I do not have any openings to other rooms, which might be your real problem. While I don't get down to 20hz, I do get down to the mid 20's. How much have you played with speaker placement?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Postby EldRick on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm

In addition to the other-rooms issue, the LR (listening/living room) has a vaulted ceiling that probably adds another 200-300 cu. ft., so it's a medium-large volume to fill with bass once you add in all the connected rooms.
This is my living room, so placement options are limited, but I've got the room reasonably well-balanced with Tube Traps on the side and back walls for reflection control, and diffusers on the front wall behind the Duettas. Placement is down to 1/4" at a time.
Over the weekend I spent several hours researching the use of subs and various vendor offerings, and concluded that adding them into my system and setting them up properly would be a medium PIA.
So at least for now, I've used the Parametric EQ built into Roon to add about 4dB boost at 30Hz, and that filled in the bottom octave reasonably well without becoming boomy or overt.
I'll probably buy a calibrated mic and take a look at room nodes one of these days, as I've been doing things by ear so far.
Any opinions on not-too-over-the-top audio evaluation mikes and apps for iOS or Android?
EldRick

Postby Zardoz on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Sounds like you are on track. It's tough having to mix a living room with a listening room. I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated room for my two channel system. :D :D
Good listening,
Z
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Postby EldRick on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 pm

I've downloaded REW and ordered the recommended mic. Should be a good project for a snow day.
EldRick

Postby EldRick on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:31 am

Interesting using REW. It's got a lot more function than 'll ever use, but it called out a couple of places where I could clean up the bass range, and after setting compensating DSP filters in Roon, things sound quite a bit more natural.
I was a bit surprised that it showed a small hump around 30Hz, and several resonances that I had not expected.
Meanwhile, i've ordered a pair of Velodyne subs: the DDP10. I'm hoping that their equalization and 20Hz range can smooth out the bass range and the lowest octave in my randomly-connected room.
The big news is that I've got guys coming in to insulate the walls of my 50-year-old house next week with blown-in "firm-pack" cellulose insulation. I anticipate that this will lower the background city-noise-floor in my house considerably.
EldRick

Return to Apogee speaker chat