Home Cinema and Divas !! What to use for surrounds & atmos

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Home Cinema and Divas !! What to use for surrounds & atmos

Postby DarthDiva on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Ok, my Divas will also serve as front left and right speakers. Phantom centre I think. BUT what on earth is out there to match timbre, speed and voice of the Divas for Atmos and surround speakers? Or, if there is nothing being commercially produced, what drivers out there may have a chance of working ?? Would love to hear if anyone has already been there done that.
DarthDiva

Re: Home Cinema and Divas !! What to use for surrounds & atm

Postby Graz on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 am

Depends on budget and room size. More details?
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Zardoz on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Like Graz said, but also do you want in wall or free standing? If in wall, Martin Logan makes some with ribbon tweeters that would probably match well.

Good listening,
Z
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Postby DarthDiva on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Thank you for the rapid response guys.

Room dimensions : 24' long, 18' wide, ceiling 8'3" high.

Many Atmos speakers are in ceiling and down firing so most do not have adequate off axis and dispersion to meet Dolby requirements. So, its best when possible to mount on the ceiling with driver array facing the seating sweet spot.

For rear surrounds I would prefer something that could go flush to the wall, or built in to the wall even if there was outward projection. Side surrounds could be floor standing or on stands .

The answer to the budget question is what sort of budget would be required to match the Divas and what would the driver compliment be ?

I've seen offerings from Monitor Audio with their proprietary AMT driver and Martin Logan Sistine 4XC, both of which are in ceiling down firing albeit with angled baffles. The only directable on ceiling mounter speakers I have seen are from Alcons Audio. They do look interesting with their proprietary ribbon design but they only work with Alcons dedicated amplifiers. I don't really have a way to listen to any of those speakers or to judge how well they may work with the Divas.

So I have considered a custom design build. The price ranges I have seen so far custom and off the shelf speakers has ranged from $1500 to $2300 USD each for Atmos and surrounds.

There is the JBL horn based Synthesis line which I have not heard but think perhaps are quite overpriced.

Perhaps a JBL alternative is something from Krix ? Horns can be dynamic and fast. Graz, Krix is down under perhaps close to you. Have you ever hear their home cinema offerings?

Thanks very much Graz and Zardox for reading my posts and your input. Much appreciated !
DarthDiva

Postby Graz on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:39 pm

We actually make speakers here, only full panels though :D

From what you have said, if budget is low run some Slant 6 or *'s, Centaurs, Centaur Majors, they will have similar voicing to the classic Divas. Or if they encroach on space loo much the smaller boxes like the LCR's, all of these come up from time to time...
Graz
Site Admin

Return to Apogee speaker chat