Apogee buzz

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Apogee buzz

Postby goetzfam on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:00 am

I have posted this also on DIYaudio. I have some Apogee Stages with a slight buzz of the bass panel. Given that new panels are not available, what are my options to try to fix this. The panel itself appears pristine and undamaged (redundant I know) :?:
goetzfam

Re: Apogee buzz

Postby Zardoz on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 pm

You could get some thin strips of foam insulation and glue them to the edges of the sides of the frame around the panels. This will help dampen the panel at the wooden frame which is where the buzz comes from. Your foam between the frame "clamp" and the panel has worn out and the buzz is from the panel being loose in the frame and vibrating against the frame. Depending on a lot of factors this may or may not help, but it's something you can try and is pretty cheap too.

Good luck,
Z
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Re: Apogee buzz

Postby Jure Damic on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi,

One possible buzz fix is with dsp.

This year acquired a great pair of Duatta’s with slight buzz on both panels on higher spl. I am using them in active mode, so, have electronic xo with dsp.

Firstly, It is necessary to locate the buzz freq. I used sin wave from REW program generator. After that, applied very narrow PEQ (Q=20) with gain of minus 12dB. The freq. are 250Hz on left and 230Hz on right panel.The buzz gone completely.

REW distortion graph doesn’t show distortion on a/m frequencies any more.
Jure Damic

Return to Apogee speaker chat