and the D-Sigs just keep sounding better...

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

and the D-Sigs just keep sounding better...

Postby EldRick on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:17 pm

I recently revised my sources to use a PS Audio Directstream DAC, replacing a Placette Passive and the internal dacs on all my sources. That was an amazing upgrade by itself, which kept improving thru three firmware upgrades. IMHO, it's one of the best available, and at less than a five-figure price-tag. I've been using Jena Labs Symphony ICs with RCA connectors, and they were very clean compared to their predecessors, but just never great at imaging in my system.

However, the real surprise was when I replaced single-ended ICs from the DAC to the Classe Omega with balanced ICs. The Omega plainly was designed with balanced connectors in mind, as the depth and imaging just opened up like turning on a light in the music. I've currently got inexpensive balanced IC cable for the 12-foot run, and although it has a distinct bass emphasis, it still sounds remarkably good.

I've got a pair of Kimber Kable Select KS-1121 cables on the way, so that should take care of the bass hump, and I'm prepared to be amazed yet again, as I had never been impressed by the sound of different cables until the Directstream, which is a huge improvement over the gear I was using before it.

And Graz' D-Sigs keep getting better, the better the signal I feed them. I've got a set of ribbon upgrades still waiting to go in - I have a feeling that it will be well worth the installation effort now...
Graz' Duetta Sigs, Parasound JC-1s, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, driven by BuppleUPnP and Roon
EldRick

Return to Apogee speaker chat