How to get rid of spider on ribbon?

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

How to get rid of spider on ribbon?

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:33 am

I've never seen this before, a spider got under the cloth and on the ribbon. How am I going to get rid of it? Can it do any harm to the ribbon?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Re: How to get rid of spider on ribbon?

Postby EldRick on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Remove the front cover and remove the spider.
Graz' Duetta Sigs, Parasound JC-1s, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Auralic Aries G1.
EldRick

Postby Graz on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Living in Australia I would say that barely qualifies as a concerning spider :) You would be surprised at how little they weigh actually!

OK - you will have to take the speaker down onto it's side, box edge down, lay a towel over the box edge, remove the screws from the ribbon fixing plates (the ones that go into the board), then carefully lower the ribbon frame to the towel over the box. From here - chasing the spider out will be easy - you may not even need to take the sock off. Use some cotton thread to prompt the spider to move if you do have to remove the sock (and of course full removal of the plates will be required - another 4 bolts).

Always good to avoid a bite - though I believe your local spiders are less of a concern than here!

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:50 am

Big or small, they scare me all.

I gently guided it down a couple of times but it is returning to that same spot after a while. Not looking forward to removing the assembly.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby ChrisH on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:34 am

Might take many goes before it gets the message and scuttles elsewhere less critical but how about

- using one of those air puffer things?

- Or cheaper...very carefully use vacuum accessories (suitably power-adjusted down for ribbon safety) to dislodge it

chris
ChrisH

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:52 am

Well Chris, I always use the vacuum-cleaner to get rid of any insects, but I am not taking it anywhere near my ribbon! Never ever vacuum a ribbon. You will permanently destroy it.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Groove-T on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Patience will help.
Just wait until the Spider is dead due hunger, then gently blow it off.
The earth is planar, we don't live in a box. :D
Groove-T

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Tonight I noticed it had come up shortly after I fired up my system. I think it senses the vibrations from the music and mistakes it for a prey.

But I've made up my mind. I don't know how it got inside the sock but apparently it's trapped inside. It's been six years since the ribbons were installed. At a suitable moment I will take the socks from both speakers, get rid of the spider and wash the socks to get rid off six years of dust.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby ChrisH on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 pm

to vacuum the ribbon you need to use absolute lowest power (preferably a handheld unit like a Dyson as they're feeble anyway) and keep a distance of several inches from the ribbon...been doing it on 3 apogees for 20 yrs without any mishaps, but I'm removing surface dust not large creatures!

Wouldn't recommend anyone to try it unless they follow instructions above - of course, if you vacuum any drive unit without extreme care you'll damage it, and yes ribbons are very fragile
ChrisH

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 pm

Haven't seen the spider for a couple of days now. Thanks but will still not vacuum Chris!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Return to Apogee speaker chat