Would Divas work here?

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Would Divas work here?

Postby kucharsk on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 am

I've asked about this before, but it's bothering me again.

Attached is a diagram of my listening room.

Could Divas possibly work if placed between the lines marked 13' 1 13/16" and 13' 3/16" firing towards the "top" of the diagram? Listening position is about 14" forward of the "top" wall.

That's where my Caliper Signatures lived for over a decade before I swapped them for other speakers, but I still can't forget the magic that is Diva sound (or Full Range, but I know those would never work.)

Thanks in advance…
kucharsk

Re: Would Divas work here?

Postby Zardoz on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

It's possible, but with the opening on one side of the room will make it tricky, I would think. Also, if I am reading your diagram correctly, your room is only 13' wide, which is normally what I would consider too narrow for a pair of big speakers like the Divas. The open side of the room could allow you to get away with the tight spacing of the speakers, but I would also think that you would have to heavily treat the side wall with acoustical treatment to make it work. I would think that Calipers, and maybe Duettas, would be a better fit, but it's really hard to guess what effect the open side of the room is going to have.
My room is 15x20x8 and I feel like my Divas only work there due to extensive acoustical treatment of wall panels and corner tube traps. Otherwise the room would be too small. Would it be possible to put them on the long wall firing into the open space? I would think that could work better.
Best,
Z
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Postby kucharsk on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I kind of thought so.

The side opening makes pressurizing the space difficult, so my Caliper Signatures performed well but could never really develop the bass impact they can in a smaller room or one with more encompassing walls.

Strangely enough, I've always found the Caliper Signature and Diva to have a lot of commonality between them where the Duetta Sigs have always sounded a bit different than either somehow. I know I loved my Caliper Sigs, and have always loved the Diva sound, second only to the Full Ranges.

Unfortunately, can't have them fire into the open space; logistics of the room (fireplace on that wall, an entire rack of AV equipment including the TV is located along the wall that would be behind the speakers, etc.) prevent that.

Yes, the room is only nominally 13' wide, though once again being open on one side mitigates that somewhat.

Thanks for your response.
kucharsk

Postby Graz on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Is that a door at the bottom left? If so is it a hanging slider, or swing door? What is on the other side? My main concern for Divas in that position is draughts to the TW from people swishing by in loose clothes! That aside asymmetry to the sides will have an affect but I have heard that work before with a good solid wall behind the speakers and zero toe-in...
Graz
Site Admin

Postby kucharsk on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 am

It's a window to the exterior. :-)

The wall that would be behind the speakers is a long interior wall that certainly worked well for the Caliper Signatures.

The CSs ran with zero toe-in.
kucharsk

Postby Graz on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 am

The window would add reinforcement to that side vs the other open side in theory.
Graz
Site Admin

Postby kucharsk on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:31 am

In theory, though in practice I didn't notice anything when my Calipers were there as there is a fabric blind over the window that provides some absorption/diffraction.
kucharsk

Return to Apogee speaker chat