2020 THE ALL NEW APOGEE ACOUSTICS DIVA ADVANCE 9

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

2020 THE ALL NEW APOGEE ACOUSTICS DIVA ADVANCE 9

Postby Graz on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:00 pm

2020 – Introducing the absolutely all new Apogee Acoustics Diva Advance 9

Over 2 and a half years in development, and designed to beat the absolute best Diva of all time before (metal chassis Apogee Diva Encore 9), here is the Diva Advance 9. Both models are like all of our metal chassis speakers, able to be produced for clients, to order.

The virtue list of the original classic Diva is long, the list of the metal chassis Diva Encore's virtues and abilities longer, so making something that beats them by a worthwhile margin was not going to be easy. So – with that in mind, and a list of all of the Definitive concept speaker (2004 design) retrospective observations was also thrown in, just for fun! All speakers have their downsides, the early Diva has a few as any Scintilla owner is fast to point out, especially around rigidity and MR performance. The new Diva had to have a foil only MR, and better MR excursion control. It needed to be the most rigid planer made, a tall order after the metal chassis Diva Encore. This meant an absolutely all new design would be required, literally not a part of previous Divas retained.

Composites are used for suspension parts, related composites for the case fronts. A split construction was chosen, as the weight of a Diva Encore 9 was uncomfortably insane. Split construction throws up it's own issues, but if well considered the two parts combine to exceed the whole, as in the case of the Diva A9. Calculations considered, plans were made. The considerations had really been in mind for over a decade, literally an Apogee fantasy - so the CAD flowed well for the A9...

Ribbons. The original Divas ribbons are a mixture of pure foil and kapton (KS) backed. The Diva Encore took this to new levels with KLM bass, and KLM6/7 MR, whilst retaining the proven excellent LW format tweeter. New limits had to be reached! For the Diva A9, all ribbons are unique except the tweeter, made to the same specs as the earlier Definitive as I believe it to be an unmatched high frequency performer on large planars, taken to even higher levels in the stronger Diva A9 MRTW structural array. The MR ribbon (unique to the A9) is also foil only, with unique tension, material and other processes steps in it's manufacture learned from the Definitive. Bass – again unique in design, with it's own magnetic structure, a genuine 4 ohm unit, made using XLM panel construction for unparalleled performance. XLM bass are only available on Apogee Advance bass ribbons.

Crossover. X-CABLE – an outboard crossover with built in wiring, soldered from the amp terminal spades to the panel connection terminal spades. A massive, solid, non resonant super-filter at over 20kg per side containing the most considered highest performance parts for astonishing transparency. Truly discrete across circuits, with mirror optimised component positioning, inert setting of each component section for no inter-component mechanical interaction or hysteresis. All sections silver soldered, audiophile grade mono-crystal copper wired for the most accurate circuit with regard to length, position, symmetry, measurements, and proximity interaction. All Apogee Acoustics Inductors are made in house using high quality CNC machinery, with our own format tension system. All Capacitors are extreme high end units, chosen for their unique lack of signature in their individual crossover positions, made for us to exact tolerances and values by state of the art capacitor experts. All resistors made to resist without unwanted reactance, set into their own individual convection chambers to control thermal characteristics and lowest reactance byond their resistance requirement. And of course – all crossover values identical left to right to meter tolerances (ie – identical meter readings). All cables audiophile grade, terminated in high quality copper spades on all but the TW connection, these are silver over copper. All main panel terminals Cardas CPBP copper - I consider to be the finest made of all time, at any price. Several weeks work goes into each and every Apogee crossover, time well spent as the ribbons and panel chassis of modern Apogees are well able to reward upstream efforts and attention!

Stands. The stands on the Diva Advance 9 are developments of the Diva Encore 9 stands, themselves stronger than the classic Diva by 500%. For the Diva A9 even stronger by an extra 50% over the Encore.

Much time was taken in considered crossover/driver simulation backed up with solid testing in the real world with high quality run-in components. The final design (#215a) managed to get what I believe to be the most from the speaker as a whole, where points of driver peak ability sweet spots were matched to components for an overall load a single amplifier would be really comfortable with, able to perform at it's best. A three way system of units ideally has to behave as if it were a single drive unit, and I believe in it's final iteration the A9 crossover #215a does this properly, perhaps with tolerances bound by physics itself! The drivers overlap seamlessly to the extent that placing your ear 0.3m from the MR driver most would be hard pressed to believe the full frequency of sound were emanating from the MR alone! In terms of resistance presented to the amplifier(s) the Apogee Diva Advance 9 does not live up to the amp killing legends of old, as the load is a realistic nominal 4 ohms, at its absolute lowest point 2.72 ohms, absolute highest point 6.9 ohms. Utterly benign and low loss.

Shipment. All Apogee Acoustics speakers are shipped in strong aluminium framed marine ply boxes lined with foam, designed to be exceptionally strong for national and international shipping. We want what we make to arrive in good order.

Ordering. The Apogee Diva A9 can be ordered and it's lead time as a finished product is subject to queue place, and work load contracted at the time of order. Contact us via email to arrange a mutually convenient time for a telephone consult (English language, Brisbane Australia time).

Such speakers are not production line products, in the same way as our clients are not production line people. Lead times depend on current activity, no corners cut, quality must be maintained.
A concept nearly three years in the making, a design made to satisfy those who have loved the Apogee sound for nearly four decades, and a chassis construction built to last for generations without degradation. Industrial Art with performance. Apogee Acoustics Diva Advance 9.

Suggested amplifier types, accurate, high quality voltage source class A solid state power, matched to a highly resolving valve pre-amp is a good place to start thinking, ideally able to drive 500w into 4 ohms all day and all night because a disc a day will simply not be enough...

2m High. 0.833m wide, 0.75m deep. Half a metric tonne per pair (packed).

From $118K USD/Pair. Contact us for details, and to commence the ordering process.

http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/images/A9.jpg
Graz
Site Admin

Re: 2020 THE ALL NEW APOGEE ACOUSTICS DIVA ADVANCE 9

Postby Scinemaniac on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:16 am

:o :o :) :) :) :) :) :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Scinemaniac

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Jantzen? Duelund?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Graz on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:41 pm

Better, secret :)

The crossovers on these actually took 3 months to get exactly where I wanted them...
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Vansloneker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:31 am

I knew you were gonna say that :lol:

By first impression these come close in appearance to the FR.
Good thing to sell them including good crates.
Wish you may sell many of them!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Graz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 am

In terms of size they are almost as high as a FR (2" shorter). Weight - well - that is something else! They NEED the crates, but come together in several parts, the nasty lift is the bass, but two strong guys can handle the task. Esme and I can lift one, and do in construction :)
Graz
Site Admin

Postby MattC on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 am

If I ever win the lottery, my order will on its way...

Matt
MattC

Postby Zardoz on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm sure they sound like they are worth every penny, and look great too, but I'll have to +1 Matt. ;)
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Postby kucharsk on Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:36 am

I’d love to read/hear a comparison of these against the Alsyvox
kucharsk

Postby Graz on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Another new product release bombed with another manufacturers advert - some things never change :roll:

Compare the above to the more favorably priced metal chassis Apogee Acoustics Duetta Advance 7, mk2 revision due out during May with an upgraded crossovers and seriously upgraded stands. These work in smaller rooms than the considerably larger Diva A9's...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=696 ...
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Groove-T on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Thats life!
Poor guys dreaming for something better.

I wish i could go to the local watch dealer and get his most fancy masterpiece to try for one day at no cost and expect him to post my most useful opinion in the www.
Same with the local SupercCardealer, but always i a have to tell him filling up the gasoline tank of the 918 Spyder to match my phantasies for free aldays long.

Of course, i know , this HP is not very hot,

Sorry, i am not jealousy, but i think its pretty stupid to anounce such a stupid advertisement on an other makers hp .

regards

Frank
The earth is planar, we don't live in a box. :D
Groove-T

Postby kucharsk on Sat May 30, 2020 6:18 pm

Another question looking at the photo again:

For the original Diva, Apogee specified a minimum speaker to wall distance of four to five feet and a distance between speakers of six and a half to eight feet.

Yours look both closer together and closer to the wall behind than that.

Is this part of the new design?
kucharsk

Postby Graz on Sun May 31, 2020 8:58 am

This is the first Apogee Diva Advance 9 client's listening room, a different shape to room they were developed in, and with a particularly solid equipment support behind. These are established features of the client's listening room. The speakers were delivered under "lockdown" so optimising will take a little longer! Even in their first position they were so far ahead of previous speakers the client had owned (ML CLX, Centaur Major, 1988 Apogee Diva Mk2) as to deliver a high degree of satisfaction, even with low hours clocked. Feedback through the first stages of run-in has been highly positive, but moving the speakers around will only become possible once "restrictions" lift - these are over 250kg each speakers, and moving requires two confident, strong, intelligent people on hand!

Standard Apogee panel placement guidelines apply for all larger Apogee full panels past and present, and in our main development room positioning was tested across the range of 42-66" from the front wall, flat-3/8" (0-10mm) toe in was tested, beyond this results were considered compromised. All of the new panels (like the classic Apogee's) are capable of a huge, believable sound stage presentation - and placement within any suitable room is a trial/error/improvement process, not unlike focusing a lens on a high end camera.

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby BOB LEWIS on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Graz,Have you ever considered fitting castors to the feet to ease placement and when in preferred position the spikes could then be screwed down for stability?Secondly does the Diva Advance 9 make the Definitive redundant?
BOB LEWIS

Postby Graz on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:28 am

Hello Bob!

Castors could certainly be fitted to the standard M8 fitting on the feet, and with the increased stand ski length it wouldn't be overly unstable - the only thing is the outboard crossovers are a separate yet integral part of the speaker and a snug fit between the skis. Also the rigid floor coupling the spikes are designed to make affects the sound considerably, being almost completely rigid castors would certainly impart something audible to the sound. Food for thought, m8 low profile castors rated at .25 tonne!!

Definitive - consider that they were an inspired design from 16 years ago. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and the A9's are actually more rigid then the Definitive's. Definitive reached it's load specifications with custom designed transformers for active only operation. The Diva A9's have a better MRTW design by far, and were designed with a near linear crossover load for the amplifier in mind, able to be driven by active or passively using the supplied passive crossover boxes. Both Definitive and Diva A9's work well, my favorite is certainly the A9's, they are truly addictive...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby thazeldean on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:36 am

kucharsk wrote:Another question looking at the photo again:

For the original Diva, Apogee specified a minimum speaker to wall distance of four to five feet and a distance between speakers of six and a half to eight feet.

Yours look both closer together and closer to the wall behind than that.

Is this part of the new design?

Although it doesn't look it, the speakers are between 4 foot and 4 foot 6 inches from the front wall. That is a 78 inch screen behind the speakers, as that is the diagonal dimension, the screen length is 68 inches. There is about a foot either side of the TV screen. The distance between the speakers is therefore approximately 7 feet 6 inches. I am going to experiment when I can elicit some serious strength to assist to see if having them slightly wider apart makes any difference. The soundstage is well past the outside of the speakers now but I like to experiment. Heavy lifting though as each panel takes two people to lift the bass unit and two for the MRTW unit.

Also they sound fantastic, expertly made with premium parts. This will be my final speaker purchase.

Tony.
thazeldean

Return to Apogee speaker chat