Power cables, do they make a difference?

Discuss any other Hi-Fi

Moderator: Graz

Power cables, do they make a difference?

Postby Zardoz on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:13 pm

I have never gotten into fooling with power cables and keep wondering if I should. :? I do use a power conditioner, but still only use the stock PC cords. What kind of experience have some of you had with PC cables, and what brands have you tried?

Thanks
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Re: Power cables, do they make a difference?

Postby JarreYuri on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:41 am

I would say "Not really".
This is of course a hot topic amongst "add on" fanatics but if You think about it, every amp and every electronic unit for that matter, has got an internal power stabilizer to filter and keep the power in the specifications that is required for that electronic unit to function.
That's what the capacitors are used for! ;)

Signal cables are a different matter as it is used to transfer a flexible signal from and to flexible units that rely on getting that specific flexible signal in a good manner.
The manner in how that flexible signal is transfered can be modified by the cable to some extent.
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby apogee_admin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Well, I have heard significant differences with power cords, going way back to when I started getting into high end gear.
The original Russ Andrews Powerkords I bought in 1999 were massively better than stock cords. The difference was the removal of a lot of hard edge and spite from recordings along with a more open, even sound, stock cords by comparison sounded bass light and quite horrible. I must admit I only bought them at the time as they had the 30 day return policy, so I figured nothing to lose.
I have since changed to Vertex AQ powercords, simply because they sounded better again, natural more precise and bigger soundstage.

Jon
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby Shibui on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 am

I was finally convinced at a Nordost demonstration that there could be [i]any[i] difference from merely a power cord. However, my own caveat is that I only use an upgraded pc on my pre-amp and nowhere else. So far!
Glen

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
All it takes for music to succeed is ears and a heart
Shibui

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:49 am

My cousin gave me a power regulator and I have one of those power cords that came with the sub and I use for the amp. Frankly, I can't tell the difference with or without.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby dasign on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:32 pm

apogee_admin wrote:Well, I have heard significant differences with power cords, going way back to when I started getting into high end gear.
Jon

I agree with Jon. I was kind of skeptical about the issue until I started fooling around with some Audioquest power cords. They immediately provided greater 3D imaging, the less expensive one (NRG-2) provided quasi perfect soundstage to the exception of bass. I ended up purchasing the NRG-5 wich was great from top to bottom. Generally speaking they do not change drastically your sound, they just provide some greater refinement.

I built some AC cords of mine which sounded as good as the NRG-5 for 50% of cost. Please note that AC cords are probably the last cable type you will tweak in a High-end system. There is a lot more to gain when playing with interconnects and speaker cables.

Dasign
dasign

Postby User211 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:24 pm

I've heard the Vertex AQ stuff as Jon had some we tried in my system a while back.

It does make a difference. I haven't looked into the Vertex AQ tech - specifically what is in those boxes - but the sound definately seemed more free of the speakers when in use.

Not a massive difference, but it did seem to be there. Quite expensive, though. Would have bought some if they cost less.

Big money on things like that could be bettered by mains re-gen I would have thought. The PS Audio stuff and equivalents. I'd like to try a mains re-gen unit just to see.
User211

Postby Ralph on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

I know this is an old thread but...

Yes - power cables can make a big difference - My calipers sound congested by comparison.
Didn't matter which amp - Primare A60 or Krell KSA80 (they are very similar sonically ). The difference was definitely there.
I upgraded from ordinary power cables to Isotech Elite power cables. Unfortunately I needed 3 - 1 to Isotech power conditioner, then 1 to power amp and 1 to pre amp (Primare Pre60 ). Even the salesman was astounded at the difference!
I don't drink too much coffee - you're listening too slowly.
Ralph

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:54 am

Here's a thought:
if the way the power is transported to the sockets is 'good' and the way the power is transported from the sockets to the devices is 'not good', then use the same method the power is transported to the sockets for transport from the sockets to the device.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby JarreYuri on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 am

Vansloneker wrote:Here's a thought:
if the way the power is transported to the sockets is 'good' and the way the power is transported from the sockets to the devices is 'not good', then use the same method the power is transported to the sockets for transport from the sockets to the device.

Yes, doesn’t that seem logical!?
If not, where in the chain of power should you stop questioning?
Would you end up replacing the generator windings on the power plant that delivers your power?
You would of course say no, that’s silly. But some are still convinced that a meter, give or take, will make such a difference that some are willing to spend serious money on it.

I agree with Vansloneker.
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby Zardoz on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Since I first posted this 6 years ago (!), I have since experimented with PC and have ended up replacing every single one in my system. I can easily hear an improvement in ever piece of gear with the upgraded PC's. I have since come to think of the PC, not as the last link in the power supply system to a unit, but it is the first thing that the unit sees for power. Also, the shielding that the PC offers between the wall and the unit probably helps reduce noise that otherwise might be picked up through the air like an antenna. Yes, the power lines in the walls are exposed to that too, but perhaps not as much since they are "shielded" inside the walls. This may not be the case, but PC's DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. :D
I used to think there was no way a PC, or outlets, could make any difference. I have totally changed my opinion on that 180 degrees and am enjoying my system a whole lot more. Just as interconnects should be considered a piece of equipment in your system, so should PC's.
Zardoz

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Zardoz the most important is that you hear a difference and that you enjoy your music more. One finds it in cables, another in caps and a third in acoustic treatments. That's what this website is all about.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Zardoz on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 pm

You're right of course, enjoyment is the name of the game. I would add that it all makes a difference, cables, PC's, caps. Especially once your system reaches a certain level, EVERYTHING makes a difference. :D
Good listening everyone.
Z
Zardoz

Return to Hi-Fi chat