speaker cable

Brag about your system here!

Moderator: Graz

speaker cable

Postby marsers on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:41 am

I am still using the 20 year old Symo cable that was recommended for use with Apogee Speakers when I bought my Stage speakers. I have recently decided to look into buying some new speaker cables. I am curious to hear from Apogee owners what speaker calbes they are using.
marsers

Re: speaker cable

Postby joseph on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:31 pm

XLO Type V. Stiff, ludicrously so, but great sounding cable.

Joseph
joseph

Postby Lars on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I've tried a pair of DH Labs SilverSonic Q10 with my Stages and it was a very positive experience.
Next thing I'll try is a pair of Tellurium Q Black.

I've never heard the Symo cables and can't offer any comparison experiences. Note that I'm not using the original Stage x-over

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/Q10.html
http://www.telluriumq.com

/Lars
Apogee Stage - silver cheeks w/original stands
Lars

Postby JarreYuri on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Lars wrote:I've tried a pair of DH Labs SilverSonic Q10 with my Stages and it was a very positive experience.
Next thing I'll try is a pair of Tellurium Q Black.

I've never heard the Symo cables and can't offer any comparison experiences. Note that I'm not using the original Stage x-over

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/Q10.html
http://www.telluriumq.com

/Lars

I have come about some rumors that the Stage has a bit of "midrange harshness".
Is this anything that You can comment about?

Cheers!
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby Lars on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:36 pm

JarreYuri wrote:I have come about some rumors that the Stage has a bit of "midrange harshness".

Cheers!

My first impressions with the Stage was not entirely positive and a degree of midrange harshness was probably part of the problem. I've had the speakers for almost 10 years now and with my current setup I have no problems with midrange harshness, thin/lean sound etc. - 10 years ago they just suffered from a bad match of equipment and a need for x-over upgrade.

The x-over upgrade was the first revelation. Most recently I've upgraded my amp to a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 with Room Perfect - that was the second revelation. I think the x-over upgrade have played a key role regarding any tendency towards midrange harshness (and several of other issues..) and in general releasing the potential of the Stage. Feed them well and they will reward you - if you don't, they will punish you. Cables are no exception. Oh.. and then carefull placement .. and some Room Perfect alchemy ;)

/Lars
Lars

Postby Vansloneker on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

JarreYuri wrote:I have come about some rumors that the Stage has a bit of "midrange harshness".
Cheers!
Where you got his rumor from? The Stages midrange has been praised on this forum over and over and apparently is one of the finest Apogee speakers has to offer.
From firsthand experience I can tell they're fine speakers with voices imho slightly minced. But wonderful.
Where it comes from? All I can think of is the Mylar woofer.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Lars on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Vansloneker wrote:Where you got his rumor from? The Stages midrange has been praised on this forum over and over and apparently is one of the finest Apogee speakers has to offer.
From firsthand experience I can tell they're fine speakers with voices imho slightly minced. But wonderful.
Where it comes from? All I can think of is the Mylar woofer.

Have you heard a pair of Stage with an upgraded x-over? .. I was quite surprised about the hidden potential - especially mid/high.

I find the Stage very revealing and they will tell you instantly if you if your gear isn't up to the task. Maybe thats the reason for the rumors.

/Lars
Lars

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 am

Lars wrote:Have you heard a pair of Stage with an upgraded x-over? /Lars
No default.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Shibui on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm

I am currently beta-testing some new sc's made by Rich Murry, one of Graz's installers and owner of True SoundWorks, and can say that they are very revealing and transparent, and relaxed sounding. By this last, I mean that they add nothing to the signal, and yet seem to optimise the pass-through from the source components - I do not by any means intend convey that they have a characteristic 'sound', as IMO they do not.

The sc's are manufactured as a true bi-wire set-up, so I will have to await arrival my own set with independent terminals for all cables in order to finish my eval, as I often run my DSigs, or Cepheus 8s bi-amped for preference and switch between amps and amp classes for comparison. But I am mightily impressed with these sc's, and with my amps and system all over again.

Rich's sc's (and I think he is going to offer a full range of cables, including ic's and power) have done a bang-up job IMHO with all of my amps - pure tube, yube/class A hybrid/SS/class D - and have certainly IMO proved very revealing of source and signal strengths and weaknesses. They have done a great job, for instance, of maximising the presentation and soundstaging of my most-difficult-for-most-people-to-like :D class D amps. These specific amps have really benefitted most, I think, and sound far more open and 'there', with far more realistic vocal presence with Rich's cables.

All-in-all, my ss amps sound more open, and my tube amps sound very airy and controlled - and for all amps the volume settings seem a little lower for the same db level, if that makes any sense. BTW apologies for my lack of technical details, but i am definately not technically proficient or even really interested - I am merely a decent pair of ears with a budget :mrgreen:

Otherwise, I think there is a Swiss company that is still making Symo - equivalent cables, but I can't recall the name. I am sure someone on the forum will know the name. Also, there are some old threads covering this Symo (replacement or improvement) cable topic in detail on the old forum:
Anyone able to point this member the right direction?

OT: BTW GRAZ, did you ever get the book I sent you?
Glen

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
All it takes for music to succeed is ears and a heart
Shibui

Return to User systems