Diva based system

Brag about your system here!

Moderator: Graz

Diva based system

Postby Zardoz on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm

My first "stereo" system :lol: was some cheap stuff in the late 60's. Since then I have come a long way by gradual up grades :D over the years. As for Apogees, I have owned the original Caliper, Caliper Sig, then went a long stretch with dynamic speaker (Genesis, JM Lab (Focal)) and then finally found a pair of used Duetta Sig's. Had the Sig's re-ribboned and lastly, found a pair of Diva's :D which I have always wanted.

So far I have only had the shells painted, and replaced the speaker posts (Cardas Gold/Rhodium) on the Xovers, but plan to completely rebuild the Xovers. Right now I'm thinking Mundorf Supreme caps, but haven't decided on the inductors or resistors. The post replacement was like upgrading the speaker cable, Transparent Ultra XL bi-wire which have been my cables for about the last 8 years.

The rest of my system is:

Krell FPB 600 amp
Krell KRC-HR pre
Krell KPE Reference phono
Oracle Delphi mkV/Graham 2.2/ Benz Ruby Z turntable/arm/cartridge
Krell 28C cd
Denon DVD2910 sacd
Quad FM4 tuner (which I seldom listen to)
Transparent Ultra XL Bi-wire cables on Cable Elevators
Audio Tekne phono cable
Krell Cogelco Black balanced interconnects everywhere else except,
Nordost Baldur interconnect on the SACD
Dedicated power line for the amp, and another for the front end
PS Audio Power Plant Premier ac conditioner (just replaced a P300) for the front end
Older Solidsteel Rack and Amp Rack
TT on a Lead Ballon stand with an Airhead platform
all stands filled with lead shot and sit on 3" slabs of granite
Front end is in a closet to try to avoid vibrations and each unit sits on BDR cones
ASC Tube Traps and various foam absorbers in a 15x20x8 foot carpeted room
Red and Black Lava light
Rock memorabilia on the walls
Bookshelves with books pulled out at odd intervals on the back wall for diffusion

I claim I'm done upgrading, but I said that before the Diva's, so who knows. ;) I don't feel like I can afford to do any major equipment up grading, so sort of plan on doing tweaks/rebuilds mostly for now. I haven't tried power cords yet either, so.....

Right now I'm am really enjoying my system, and feel like I have a completely new record collection with the Diva's in place. :D
Attachments
Diva room e.jpg
Diva room e.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Re: Diva based system

Postby Vansloneker on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:02 am

That's an impressive room.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Zardoz on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks. When we purchased our house 20 years ago, having a room at least this big was a prerequisite. The system is something that has taken me over 40 years to obtain, in slow incremental up grades. But I'm real enjoying it now, and really have enjoyed whatever I had throughout the whole process. Music is awesome :!:
Zardoz

Postby Zardoz on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Just an update, as I've made a few changes to my system. I rebuilt the Diva Xovers using Clarity ESA caps and Goertz inductors, HUGH difference :shock: . Anyone who hasn't upgraded their Xovers needs to immediately!!!! Another surprise was changing my hospital grade outlets with PS Audio Power Ports. Didn't really expect much from the Power Ports and changed just the one on the amp at first. It did make a noticeable difference, so I changed the ones on the front end components as well. Since I changed the front end outlets while my Diva's were out being re-ribboned, it's hard to tell how much, if any, difference they made, but the change in the amp outlet was easy to hear. The down side to this change is that probably means that power cords do make a difference. Power cords are something I haven't tried yet since I was skeptical that they could have much of an impact. So much for that theory.
Got the re-ribboned Diva's back and are still breaking them in. 300 hours seems like a long time right now. :( But they do sound better already.
I also sold my 28c CD player and my KRC-HR pre, to purchase a new Krell Phantom III pre. :D This is my first actually new (not a demo, not used) Krell pre, so I'm really happy that it is a big improvement on my KRC-HR. I'll let you know how it goes as it breaks in, but even with only 5-6 hours on it, I can hear things I couldn't before.
I've broken one of my major rules by changing more than one thing at a time :oops: (or at least very close together), but it just worked out that way. So far I am pleased with the results, and all changes seem to be for the better. :D
Good listening everyone.
Zardoz

Postby Zardoz on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Just an update, now that the Diva's and Krell Phantom III have some hours on them. The re-ribboned Diva's are sounding better and smoother everyday. The bass is still a bit light weight, as I only have about 40-50 hours on them so far. Bill Thalmann who did the ribbons, said it would take about 300 hours for the bass panels to really break in, so I'm playing them as much as I can. (Hard life :lol: ) Got a Doors 45 rpm LP for Christmas and it throws about as wide of a sound stage as I think I have ever heard, at least in my room. Very awesome :D .

Good listening,
Z
Zardoz

Postby JarreYuri on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes, I would think that You have a really hard time "coping" with the speakers during those 300 "dreadful" hours. :lol: :lol: ;)
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby Zardoz on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Yeah, it's a tough dirty job, but someone has to do it. :lol:
Zardoz

Postby Al^ on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 am

WOW!!! That's a lovely setup, are you running the Diva's fully passive with the big Krell? Do have the Dax as well? Cheers Al
Al^

Postby Zardoz on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for the compliment Al. I don't have a DAX and am running them with the passive Xovers. I have rebuilt the Xovers with Clarity ESA caps and Goertz inductors though, which made a phenomenal difference. :D
Zardoz

Return to User systems