New to Apogee

Brag about your system here!

Moderator: Graz

New to Apogee

Postby macabre1993 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:18 am

Hello,
I purchased my first pair of Apogee's, pristine Centaurs with the optional bases, about a month ago. They are in my listening room system consisting of:
Lenco L78 turntable on a homemade plinth of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood sandwiched with 1/2" MDF, an Origin Live Encounter tonearm and Shelter 501 mc cartridge with a Sound smith line contact stylus and ruby cantelever, feeding a set of Phonoclone 3 phono stages;
VPI HW-19 turntable with TNT platter, Rega 301 tonearm w/Cardas wiring and Pete Riggle mods, Lyra Lydian mc cartridge feeding a Creek Audio OBH9 SE phono stage;
Marantz CD5001 player;
Onkyo TA-2130 cassette deck;
Conrad Johnson PV5 preamp;
QSC 3800 power amp feeding the Centaurs, and;
Adcom GFA-555 feeding a JBL Pro-former subwoofer.

Living room home theater set includes:
Samsung 67" DLP TV with an LED engine;
B&K AVR 202 surround receiver;
AR TWR610 front speakers
Hafler Series 2 rear speakers
Advent Prodigy 2 center speaker, and
Realistic 12" passive subwoofer

I keep the Lenco on 33 rpm and the VPI at 45 rpm, both stay dead on speed and I can spend the $ for a speed box on vinyl instead. Future plans include upgrade CD player & DAC and a record cleaning machine.
Last edited by macabre1993 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
macabre1993

Re: New to Apogee

Postby Vansloneker on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:47 am

Hello and welcome to the Apogee community.
If you have Centaurs with optional bases, you probably have Centaur Minors.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby macabre1993 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 am

Thank you; my pair have the 8" woofer and just "Centaur" on the back nameplate, no mention of "Minor" as in most pics I've seen. Did both use the same 26" ribbon?
macabre1993

Postby Vansloneker on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 am

If reads Centaur it probably is a Centaur.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby macabre1993 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 am

The previous owner said they were the intermediate model; he also said they would reveal weak links in my system, he was right. I was using the Adcom initially to drive the Apogees and the QSC was a back up PA amp. I liked the Adcom better when it was driving the ARs and I knew the QSC sounds amazing but weighs a ton and a pain in the ass to lug around. I wasn't overly impressed with the bottom end of the Centaurs and a friend had just returned the JBL sub he had borrowed, problem solved. The QSC drives the Centaurs like they were meant to be driven and the Adcom sounds fine pushing the low bass. Best sounding system I've ever had...
macabre1993

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:49 am

The Centaur is intermediate between the Centaur Minor and the Centaur Major indeed. The ultra light fast responding ribbon is what Apogee is all about. They like a lot of current to shine. Low isn't the virtue of the Centaurs. I went the same way with adding a sub.
If you study the forum you will find there are upgrades you can perform on the speakers that wouldn't get out of hand $$$ like but really pay off.
Post an image of your speakers!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby macabre1993 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I took some good pics with my phone but files are too big to post. I'll load them onto my laptop, compress them, then post them this evening...
macabre1993

Return to User systems