Linux Audio

PC software/hardware discussions

Moderator: Graz

Linux Audio

Postby MattC on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Well, I've managed to successfully install OpenSUSE (with a Gnome desktop) on my old Toshiba laptop, and am now in the process of tweaking the USB audio output. As of now it's working, but I have no idea what the output rate is, etc. Also, in Windows, you're able to isolate the digital output from the rest of the system using an ASIO driver. I haven't figure out how to do this yet in Linux, and I'm hearing the occasional click and pop in the output - and the documentation I'm coming across on tweaking the audio output is a bit dense.

Also, through a crude process of trial and error, I ended up using an application called Rhythmbox as my player. I want to stick with the folder based music selection that I've been using with Foobar in Windows, at least for now, and this one seems to allow me to do that. The last thing I want anything to do with a database based system, at least until I finishing ripping my 2,000 CDs to hard drive.

I have no idea whether I've chosen wisely or not in terms of the player. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Graz seems to believe that Linux audio sounded better than Windows-based audio - so I'm willing to try it out, especially given the sudden weird freezes that I was experiencing via the XP-Foobar combo.
MattC

Re: Linux Audio

Postby TinyTim on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:05 am

Hi Matt,

the audio hardware is the same regardless of what OS you run the only difference is the decoder, drivers and players. To say that one audio signal sounds better on one OS over the other is rubbish if you use the same settings. You can set the various output levels using "Alsamixer" and also cut off unwanted channels. My recommendation for the media player is Mozilla's Songbird. It includes a display of song lyrics and also Album information. That app is quite low on resource handling as well. For a linux beginner i recommend Ubuntu 10.04, have a look around the software package center for a large variety.

Greetings

TT
TinyTim

Postby MattC on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 am

Thanks, Tim. Someone else just recommended Ubuntu last night. I will probably give it a try.
MattC

Postby MattC on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 pm

OK, I installed Ubuntu 10.4 on this old Toshiba laptop last night, and am listening today. Too early to make any firm determination at the moment, but I am still hearing the occasional dirt in the sound, probably due to some interaction between the computer and the OS.

Has anyone tried Ubuntu Studio? It's supposed to use a kernel that is better for audio, and I'm thinking about trying it next. Not sure how to tweak in Linux at the moment - and so I'm moving slowly. Still, for a free OS, this seems a terrific value. If I didn't need to use a couple of extremely picky PC applications, that I'm told will never run under Linux (even using Wine), I might switch to it across the board. If I build an entertainment PC, I will definitely opt for a variant of Linux.

My next purchase will probably be a dedicated DAC.
MattC

Postby Chan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Matt,

Are you familiar with the CA forum?
Lots of useful info there.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... erver-CAPS
You may be interested in what's he got the say about the Voyage Linux

Some Ubuntu settings here
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... ial-idiots
Hope this helps.

I personally really don't have the patience anymore in all the software tweaking. I ripped all my CD's lossless and went the Mac Mini way (Pure Music/Hiface). User friendly / High WAF.

Chan
Chan

Postby MattC on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi Chan,

Thanks for the links. I played a bit more with the system, and will get back to the Linux setup at some point. But the laptop machine that I was using began to have heat / stability issues, and I've gone back to using my Windows 7 based laptop with an external DAC.
MattC

Return to Computer audio