HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO

PC software/hardware discussions

Moderator: Graz

HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO

Postby Graz on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 am

I wonder what your experiences have been like with high resolution remastered downloads of music from yesteryear? Where are the best places and deals? Format - have any of you done comparisons of DS to 88.2, 96, 176.4 using the same music? I have heard the differences of cd's mastered in different countries supposedly using the same format - and wonder - where can the best masters converted to the best digital data be found? Prices - from what I have seen high res downloads seem to cost quite a lot when compared to a real physical stocked and shipped product - so where are the deals?

Curious - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Re: HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO

Postby Vansloneker on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Not much reply so far here!

Well I do keep some Hi-Res audio on my system. I haven't done extensive comparisons, maybe will later when I'm finished with the X/O job. I really couldn't tell differences in the sampling rates, and I don't care really, if it sounds good it's good.

HDtracks has a large catalog, the prices are steep considering there is no physical media involved. I think there is a lot of work involved with remastering and paying rights and the market is not that big to justify the price.
Producing a good Hi-Res version from a master seem to involve more then just adapting the production master to Hi-Res. For as much as I understand they have to go back to basic masters and redo all the mixing.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby JarreYuri on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:21 pm

I agree with You.
Remastering has to be done from an analog source or it's a waste of time and data space.
Recordings of an event or a studio session have to take into account if it's going to be released in higher resolution then the standard 44.1kHz sampling rate due to the extra data space taken by the higher resolution.
I gather that the supply is rather thin comparing to the demand that may be.

Apart from that, personally I would not give the time or the money to buy it. Take a listening, sure. But I sadly have to admit that my hearing was better just a few years ago in the higher frequencies, thanks to some side work at building constructions. :evil:

As a side note. (Funny one)
I actually have a LP record that actually was digitally recorded!
How about that!?
It's Ry Cooder - Bop Till You Drop.
How odd is that? :D
A good record none the less!!!
The one who succeeded was the one who did not know it was impossible!
JarreYuri

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:32 am

Remastering can be done from digital originals if they are of high resolution. Digital recording studio audio generally is.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby JarreYuri on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 am

Vansloneker wrote:Remastering can be done from digital originals if they are of high resolution. Digital recording studio audio generally is.

Well, at least if the original is higher resolution then needed.
If it's the same, no remastering is needed.
If the original is lower, waste of time.
JarreYuri

Postby Vansloneker on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I made two playlists with music I have both as 24-bit and as 16-bit. One playlist with pop music and one playlist with jazz music. For the pop music I limited to single tracks, while for jazz I added full albums.
A playlist has the same tracks and albums but one the 24-bit version and one the 16-bit version.
At appropriate moments I will go play these lists and I'm curious if I can distinguish the sources. The playlist will be played in random order so the song playing can be either the 24-bit or the 16-bit version. The Transporter will only show the artist and song title on the display. Even that can be disabled. To check the file source I will have to look up the track with a browser or the Media Center app.

The challenge for the pop music playlist has an extra difficulty because there are some 16-bit MFSL tracks among them. I consider the MFSL tracks as very good, close to 24-bit. I would prefer a good MFSL over a bad 24-bit. 'm really curious if my preference will stand the test.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby JarreYuri on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Some serious listening for You here! ;)
I have not Yet taken upon this explicit task as I have too much to do. NO LESS SHINE ON YOU!!!!

Go for it!
JarreYuri

Postby Vansloneker on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:06 am

I stumbled upon the Computer Audiophile website. They have a forum where also audiophile quality downloads are discussed. Take it with a grain of salt, but there might be a sensible word here and there.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Stanray on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Have a look at: http://www.phasure.com/index.php
This is even more interesting.
Stanray

Return to Computer audio