Stradivarius

Found new (or old) music that you have to tell people about, do it here

Moderator: Graz

Stradivarius

Postby Vansloneker on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Sort of accidentally watched a classical music channel, BRAVANL.NL on TV. A violist playing his heart out and when I heard the voice of this violin I knew it was a Stradivarius. Goose skin all over! I looked it up it was Joshua Bell playing Tsjaikovsky his first violin concerto indeed on a 'Strad'. He had bought it for almost $4,000,000.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Re: Stradivarius

Postby Vansloneker on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:17 pm

So it was re-broadcasted and I recorded it and viewed it and guess what? Goose skin again! The sound of this Stradivarius is wonderful. Violins can sound cheap and boring. A Strad can sound magical. I'm sure it's an outstanding violin player that can extract those wonderful sounds from this instrument.
And I didn't even hear it on my Apogees!
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Vansloneker on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

I've seen and enjoyed a couple more violin concertos. Yesterday I watched Hilary Hahn playing Shostakovitch with the Berliner Philharmonic in Japan in 2000.
Earlier I was hit by Sarah Chang playing the The Carmen Fantasy from Sarasate on an open air concert in Germany. It's a really difficult piece and it's so wonderful to see how she really owned this instrument. As if it was nothing the most spectacular tones are produced that render any synthesizer to superfluous.

I don't have these concertos on my Apogee gear, they are broadcasts I stumbled upon. I think seeing the violin being played like this is a big piece of game. But most is about how the violin is taken to it's limits and the extraordinary.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby ChrisW on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Vansloneker

interesting- I will have a look for an LP. When someone is so passionate about a recording or artist makes me want to hear it!

cheers
Chris
ChrisW

Postby Vansloneker on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello Chris, of course it all comes down to personal preference. What I enjoy doesn't necessarily mean someone else enjoys it to.

A question about your location, Binnngen should that maybe be Binningen? If so, Deutschland oder Schweiz?
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby ChrisW on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 am

I'm from London but I have lived in Switzerland for about 25 years now...

Music is a personal choice, but if someone (especially an Apogee owner) recommends a recording, then I like to try something new. Knowing I might or might not like it.
ChrisW

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:54 am

Chris, it's often possible to find a piece of music on youtube and that way get a first impression.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Return to Lovely captivating stunning music