Revelator

Found new (or old) music that you have to tell people about, do it here

Moderator: Graz

Revelator

Postby Roy Waugh on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Been spinning this disc for a few months now - "Revelator" from the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Caught their show in DC a few weeks ago to see if the magic from the studio translated to the big stage. Boy did it, and then some. Derek Trucks is perhaps the greatest slide guitar player of his generation which is no surprise considering his lineage and years of playing with the Allman Brothers Band. His wife Susan Tedeschi is no slouch on the Telecaster herself, and has a voice that I can only describe as Janis/Bonnie on steroids. She could turn off the microphone and still pin your ears back. Awesome performance. Big 11 piece band with 2 drummers ala the ABB, and full horn and rhythm sections. They played most of the album, mixed in a few standards, and threw in a few songs from their Soul Stew Review from a few years back. BAY-BEE everything is allright, UP TIGHT clean outta sight. By all means do not miss this show if their tour is coming near you. Highly recommend the album - very good front to back, and would be surprised if Midnight in Harlem doesn't win a Grammy - such a smooth groove. Two thumbs up.

RW
Roy Waugh

Re: Revelator

Postby Zardoz on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm

I've been enjoying this album for about a week now and really thinks it's one of the better albums to come along for a while. While it's sound quality is very good, there does seem to be a lot of stuff "buried" in the mix. Lot's of times the backing vocals, and at times even instruments have to really be listened for to catch anything other than the leads. I wish the backing stuff had just a little more "there" to them, but even still it is a dynamite album.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers..."
Zardoz

Re: Revelator

Postby Roy Waugh on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Grammy prognasticator Roy here

There isn't actually a category for Blues song, only Blues albumn - but it did win.

Also pulled out my original 1985 CD of Whitney's debut album and gave it a spin for old times sake. So tragic to see the downward spiral that she couldn't seem to pull out of. I guess that recording would be considered redbook by today's standards with all of the options we now have. Back then we were starved for any digital product, and waited in earnest for our favorite albums to come out on CD. Remember those days?

RW
Roy Waugh

Return to Lovely captivating stunning music