Moderator: Graz

Anybody still here from the old days?

Postby TinyTim on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Hello Apogee Guys,

anyone from the old days still around?

Cheers

Flo
TinyTim

Re: Anybody still here from the old days?

Postby MattC on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:13 pm

I got my password problem fixed the other day, so I'm trying to look in when I can.

Board is so much quieter as compared to the old days.

Matt C
MattC

Postby Al^ on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:36 am

Hi I still chk in, and yes it's quiet here.
Al
Al^

Postby TinyTim on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Matt and Al,

well i guess we saw it coming. You guys ok, still use Apogees?
Is Joseph, Narkotic or Kip still around?

-Flo
TinyTim

Postby Lissnr on Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:36 am

Hello Gentlemen. I didn't add much years ago but I was an avid fan of reading many of your posts when I first started using Apogees almost 20 years ago...if that counts. I'm still using...Started with Mini Grands then Duetta Sigs, onto newer Duetta Sigs (rebuilt by TSW), tried Divas awhile, now finally back to Duetta Sig Ultimates by TSW...I always admired the expertise gathered here. (Thanks!). Lissnr
Lissnr

Postby TinyTim on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Hello Lissnr, i remember you somehow ;)

Good to see that some people still enjoy their Apogees.
Of course i couldn't leave them Aps behind either although my current time is rather short for HIFI and HIFI conversation apart from writing and reading in forums during my travel times. I still use my Grands since i could not find something which brings me the same emotional connection (at least from a none living thing). I did have some large Usher Audio D2 MKII speakers with great crossovers (Mundorf Gold Oil, Jantzen Wax Spools). Those did some things amazingly good and were a whole lot simpler. In the end they went to a good friend and i bought new gear for the Grand and kept them.

Cheers

Flo
TinyTim

Postby Graz on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:06 pm

I think the world has become a different place - we are one of the longest running audio groups still going at 16 years! A couple of factors put a bit of negativity in a few years ago, som amp bias, and some opinions about home repair affected things but generally the archive covers a real lot in its 8000 odd posts!!

I have setup a facebood mfrs page, and there also has been a facebook users page for a while, again both quiet.

Work continues, restorations and new sales to people who have a different take on ownership. The old days were nice, but the time occupied by social media seems to be spent on fb window dressing of peoples personal sites for most these days...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby Al^ on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:47 am

Hi Flo, Aps still going strong here, Diva's , Scintillas, Duetta Sigs and Stages, along with my Infinitys and Acoustats, one can never have to much :) Al
Al^

Postby TinyTim on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:45 am

Well i cant believe that some discussions about amplifiers would tear a forum apart, if that was all it took, it must not have been that good to begin with. Good to see you guys still around tough!

Since this is the User Systems section let me share my current set with you :)

Sources

-Studer B67 MKII Reel to Reel (Restored by Ex-Studer Tech in Germany)
-Luxman D-03 DAC / SACD
-Acoustic Signature Analog One MKIII with Digital Controller and 3 Motors with Audio Aero Airis Arm (Tangential Air Bearing Arm) with Van Den Hul Canary SE MC
-JRIVER Libary via Mac Pro Digital Out

Pre Amps

-Modified Audio Note L3 Phono (LCL Filtering, External PSU) +-0.3db RIAA with passive correction!
-NAT Audio Symetrical (Truly Balanced Tubes Preamp) http://www.nataudio.com/products/all-products/vacuum-tube-hybrid-line-stages/item/21-symmetrical.html
-Funk Tonstudiotechnik SAM-2C (Prof. Symetrical amplifier for matching symetrical and non symetrical source/target system). Used to balance the Phono section http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/SAM-2C-Messschriebe+techn.Daten.pdf

Power amps
-NAT Audio Transmitter (4 Units) http://www.nataudio.com/products/all-products/vacuum-tube-power-amplifiers/item/27-transmitter.html
-Grand amplifiers drive subwoofer and tweeter

Room
-Full height GIK Soffit Basstraps in all corners
-Rear wall absorbtion to avoid reflections
-Lyngdorf RP-1 Room Processor

Powerfilter
-NAT Audio XENON Plasma Filter http://www.nataudio.com/products/all-products/accessory/item/31-xenon.html

TinyTim

Postby Roy Waugh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi Flo

Just thinking about you and some of the old members the other day. Glad you started this thread, but I guess that it's a little late to arrange a Christmas CD exchange ;) I still troll this site probably once or twice a week. Hopefully some of the others do as well and will chime in. Nice to see that you're still rocking the Grands.

Honestly, my biggest electronic purchase of late were hearing aids around 2 years ago to the tune of $3K per ear. It would seem that I have a terminal case of Tinnitus surprisingly brought on by a latent birth defect, and not from cranking up the Apps. So moving up in the Apogee line probably isn't in the plan for this guy, although I may spring for new ribbons for the Centaurs which surely must be approaching 30 years old at this point. Maybe new foam for the cones as well.

Take care

Roy
Roy Waugh

Postby TinyTim on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi Roy,

3k a piece, that would be a nice CD Player! How come you got that so late?
Yes i am still rocking the Grand, havent found a new love yet.

The Christmas CD trading was a cool idea, we can use some other fairy tales around the world as an event.

If your ever in my neighborhood, stop by!

Cheers

Flo
TinyTim

Postby gilles13 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 pm

To TinyTim
Congratulation for your great system.
Why four amps for medium?
gilles13

Postby TinyTim on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Hello Gilles,

thank you. The Grand uses 8 amplifiers, 2 Krells for the subwoofer, 2 NAT Transmitter for the Midbass, 2 NAT Transmitter for the Midrange and 2 Krells for the Tweeter. XO is 70, 250, 9K

Cheers
TinyTim

Postby Bonne on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 am

Still "lurking" in time to time though I'm not a big contributor.
We met at W&W audio a few weeks ago. How are the NAT's doing?
Still need to fix my scintilla's with some new foils someday.
Apogee Scintilla, Krell KSA250+KRC3, Sphinx Project 14 (2x), Krell Evolution 505.
Bonne

Postby RuedigerC on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Still here, now with fullrange and do not want to change a thing...
;)
Cheers,
Rüdiger
RuedigerC

Postby christoph on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Flo

Nice to "hear" from you. I haven't heard or read from you for years.
I'm glad you are still in the game with the same enthusiasm as always.

Last I heard about you, was that you are completely rebuilding your listening room, to house both your systems (Usher D2 Mk2 and the Grand) at the same time...

So you got rid of the Ushers and came back to the Grand and NAT gear?
What happened with your Silvaweld stuff?

And what wonders me the most: why are you driving the Grand tweeter ribbon again with the inbuilt Krell amp?
Your new Transmitters certainly are sexy beasts. I hope they prove to be more reliable than your previous NAT gear.

I would love to meet up again some time to hear your newest incarnation of the big Grand system.

Or at my place. I'm still very much enjoying Apogees, KR Audio, Lamm and Silvaweld as well as some Acoustats in a separate upstairs system, that works amazingly good :mrgreen:

I very much hope we can re-establish some gatherings like we used to have in the past.

Happy New Year to all of you Apogee Lovers
Christoph
christoph

Postby TinyTim on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Bonne wrote:Still "lurking" in time to time though I'm not a big contributor.
We met at W&W audio a few weeks ago. How are the NAT's doing?
Still need to fix my scintilla's with some new foils someday.

Hi there :-)

Good see you are also here. The new NATs are doing very fine indeed, they are really much better built and thought out then the NAT gear from 5-10 years ago. It does get very warm in the room tough. For fixing your Scintilla you have a lot of good options in Europe, do you have plans for that yet?

See ya next time
TinyTim

Postby TinyTim on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 pm

RuedigerC wrote:Still here, now with fullrange and do not want to change a thing...
;)
Cheers,
Rüdiger

Hi Ruediger, yes i know the feeling :-)

I have been using some large Horn speakers for close to 2 years in the same room while i had my Grand disconnected because i couldn't bring myself to sell it, although i did check the pricing. In the end i sold it and went back to the big old ladys.

Enjoy the FR :-)
TinyTim

Postby TinyTim on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:15 pm

christoph wrote:Hi Flo

Nice to "hear" from you. I haven't heard or read from you for years.
I'm glad you are still in the game with the same enthusiasm as always.

Last I heard about you, was that you are completely rebuilding your listening room, to house both your systems (Usher D2 Mk2 and the Grand) at the same time...

So you got rid of the Ushers and came back to the Grand and NAT gear?
What happened with your Silvaweld stuff?

And what wonders me the most: why are you driving the Grand tweeter ribbon again with the inbuilt Krell amp?
Your new Transmitters certainly are sexy beasts. I hope they prove to be more reliable than your previous NAT gear.

I would love to meet up again some time to hear your newest incarnation of the big Grand system.

Or at my place. I'm still very much enjoying Apogees, KR Audio, Lamm and Silvaweld as well as some Acoustats in a separate upstairs system, that works amazingly good :mrgreen:

I very much hope we can re-establish some gatherings like we used to have in the past.

Happy New Year to all of you Apogee Lovers
Christoph

Hello Christoph,

nice to read from you too. Yes its been a while since we heard each other. I did rebuild the room and used both systems at the same time during the end. I invested a lot in measuring gear (digital and analog) to understand what really goes on as i firmly believe that cables and esoteric BS only does 5% of the sound. In the end i found with the support of an acoustician 2 room modes (lateral and diagonal) which prohibits using two systems in the same room. I always liked the NAT sound, but it was unreliable at the time. This NAT gear is all brand new with warranty, and so far has been running very well. The Krell tweeter amp works perfectly fine and besides that, another set of Transmitters would set me back another 18000 EUR which is a bit too much for a tweeter amp. I had all the Silvaweld gear (OTL Reference and SWC1000) repaired and reworked (as i do with all my gear) but in the end its typical High End BS with a bad noise floor and humming issues which are very apparent on high efficiency systems like the modified Ushers with 99db/watt. I sold all of that. The sound was very good but not compatible with the big Horns and because of the high DC offset potential, not good for the Grand either. I also had 3 pairs of Sphinx 14 which i had rebuild, sold those as well because i did not need them anymore as well as much more other gear. Now with the room acoustics in place and the Lyngdorf RP-1 in a fully (true balanced) system setup i am very happy, which i guess is a big reason i dont visit anyone and hear other systems. I just cannot bear the bad acoustics and discussions about silly things as cables while hearing +- 10db response differences and massive decay times. I am content and enjoy my setup.

Cheers and enjoy your systems :-)
TinyTim

Postby Bonne on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:48 am

TinyTim wrote:
Hi there :-)

Good see you are also here. The new NATs are doing very fine indeed, they are really much better built and thought out then the NAT gear from 5-10 years ago. It does get very warm in the room tough. For fixing your Scintilla you have a lot of good options in Europe, do you have plans for that yet?

See ya next time

Hi Flo,

Plans on fixing, yes. Actual actions, no. :?
But will have to take action soon, since i've been listening a bit more lateley they developed more buzz.

At the moment the warmth of the amps should save you some heating costs ;)
Happy listening!

Regards,

Bonne.
Apogee Scintilla, Krell KSA250+KRC3, Sphinx Project 14 (2x), Krell Evolution 505.
Bonne

Postby MattC on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Yep, still own my Duetta Sigs. Didn't use them much for a while, due to the onset of tinnitus; but I eventually made peace with it, and now listen a lot more than I used to. Speakers apparently annoy my tinnitus a lot less than headphones.

My system is pretty much same as it's been for a while, except for the addition of Schiit Bifrost dac driven by a home built SFF PC running Daphile.
MattC

Postby richards on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:15 am

Hi Flo

I, too, remember the `old days` - when you were young and brash.... Some of your comments were outrageous! But I always had a sneaking admiration, particularly during your `Scintilla period`, since my love affair for them began in 1988 and has never diminished.

More a lurker than contributor many forum members offered help especially during my Studio Grand period, and more recently Kees continues to help, offer advice and is a wonderful sounding board and friend.

With three active Scintilla systems, one recently completely refurbished, fine tuning is the order of the day rather than major innovation; a second P16 remains a desire.....

I don`t need hearing aids, yet, but the volume control has crept up over the years....

Best wishes to all, Richard
richards

Postby christoph on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Richard

Nice to "hear" from you again.
Yes, Kees is an absolutely great guy. I'm also still in contact with him.

What did you do with your Studio Grands?
I obviously went the other direction and sold my beautiful Scinnies to a good friend.
Actually he REALLY wanted them so badly, that I finally had to give in.

I'm very happy with the Studio Grands. I couldn't get the Scinnies to image like the Studio Grands can. No matter what I tried :?
christoph

Postby richards on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Christoph

good to hear from you --- err, here may differ, I love my `furbed Scintillas and the Studio Grands languish unloved - happy to dispose of them!

Thoughts? Richard
richards

Postby henk on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm still here ;)

Have been busy with improving my system too. Both my Grands and my STAX DMA-X2 amps have had a rather important revamp, improving vastly on their performance. Even Kees seems to like the sounds I'm making now.

Just like Flo, I am using all electronics in the Grand, including the tweeter amp. And I must say that once brought up to modern standard they perform wonderfully!

And I too would be very interested in re-establishing some kind of get-together. It's been way too long since we've seen each other!

Gr,

Henk
henk

Postby ChrisH on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:23 pm

hi henk, hi chaps

yes chrish is still here, and still using the amazing gloss white Scintillas (with Pass x600 mono amps) that you restored henk.

Sadly imminent job loss forces me to offer the speakers for sale, if anyone in the UK is interested. They have wooden packing crates...and custom aluminium stands....and it's going to break my heart to see them go, but there we are.

Always up for a meet up...anyone near the midlands (Coventry) please drop by

all the best
chris
ChrisH

Postby Nautilus on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Flo,
I am still here :)
Also missing some of the interesting discussions.
Have had a bit of an adventure totally rebuilding Duetta Sigs and Divas with Graz ribbons.
Also built some amps.
Have been most recently playing with a DEQX.
Lots of fun and astounded (doesnt really describe it well) how much better the Apogees sounded after the rebuild.
Cheers
Matthew (aka Nautilus)
Nautilus

Postby TinyTim on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:06 pm

richards wrote:Hi Flo

I, too, remember the `old days` - when you were young and brash.... Some of your comments were outrageous! But I always had a sneaking admiration, particularly during your `Scintilla period`, since my love affair for them began in 1988 and has never diminished.

More a lurker than contributor many forum members offered help especially during my Studio Grand period, and more recently Kees continues to help, offer advice and is a wonderful sounding board and friend.

With three active Scintilla systems, one recently completely refurbished, fine tuning is the order of the day rather than major innovation; a second P16 remains a desire.....

I don`t need hearing aids, yet, but the volume control has crept up over the years....

Best wishes to all, Richard

Hi Richard,

yes i did tame down a little bit :D
I too am a lurker, i grew really tired to reading forums and writing long replies. Are you coming to the Munich show to see how content you can be with your Apogees?

Cheers
TinyTim

Postby TinyTim on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Nautilus wrote:Hi Flo,
I am still here :)
Also missing some of the interesting discussions.
Have had a bit of an adventure totally rebuilding Duetta Sigs and Divas with Graz ribbons.
Also built some amps.
Have been most recently playing with a DEQX.
Lots of fun and astounded (doesnt really describe it well) how much better the Apogees sounded after the rebuild.
Cheers
Matthew (aka Nautilus)

Hi Matthew,

yes, a rebuilt is quite shocking!
My jaw dropped tough when i got my big SET amps on the Grand 8-)
Now i am actually content for many month, which is a good sign.

Do you prefer the Duettas or DIVAs?
TinyTim

Postby converse320 on Wed May 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Well I'm still here, every now and then. Feels like everybody suddenly got old together and stopped being too interested in speakers.

I still have my Scintillas, but no longer the big house so they are all boxed up still. Sadly I never got to hear them with my new record player, but thats life. I have a big project in hand that may get things back and running again though - we'll know by next year.
converse320

Return to User systems