Stage-sized ribbon speaker

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Stage-sized ribbon speaker

Postby MattC on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:17 pm

As I continue my search for a speaker that I might enjoy once I downsize my living room, I find myself wishing that the Apogee Stages had not gone the way of the do-do bird. You rarely see them available anywhere, and that leads me to think that their owners are just tossing them away when they break down.

I remember Jeff stating that he felt that his Mini-Grands were as satisfying as the Studio Grands (especially in a smaller room), but one is reluctant to go with the Stages once you realize that you're at the mercy of a single repairer, assuming that he still has the necessary parts.

I went to the NY Audio show the other day, being dragged there by a friend wanting company, and what heard did not impress me. Honestly, to my way of hearing, Apogee was making much better speakers 30 years ago; and when I came from the show and started listening to music that I knew well through my Duetta Sigs (which are still using the original Apogee-manufactured ribbons), it just confirmed my listening impressions.

I know that Magneplanar continues to make a couple of smaller models, but I don't know how close they sound to the classic Apogee sound.
MattC

Re: Stage-sized ribbon speaker

Postby Graz on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 pm

People seeking a small but capable Apogee that is the real Apogee sound can have a Caliper or Caliper Signature restored from stock at a reasonable price...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby MattC on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Graz, I started with Calipers back in the day and IMHO they're still too big for some rooms.
MattC

Postby BOB LEWIS on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:24 am

Matc,The only small non Apogee type speaker with similar sound quality would be the Analysis Audio Omicron ribbon planar which is six inches shorter than the Caliper and look like Apogee clones,but pricey.

Regards,Bob Lewis.
BOB LEWIS

Postby Graz on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Most people out there have not heard a properly restored Apogee Caliper or Caliper Sig. They respond very well to restoration (especially the earlier Caliper with huge improvements) and can compete with modern $20k speakers easily. As for sizing - in comparison it's only a few inches taller than the Stage, around the same as a Mini-Grand, requires to be located in the same place in any given room as the Stage with a similar footprint. Construction format for the Caliper is considerably better than the Stage also...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby MattC on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Having owned Calipers at the outset of my Apogee history, I know them well. And they needed a big room. My primary focus when looking for apartments was to find a room big enough for them! Elliot, at Innovative Audio here in Brooklyn, NY, reported that he was able to set up his Stages in a near-field setup in a 2nd bedroom and find them quite satisfying.

Hopefully, I will find a space big enough to allow me to keep my Duettas Sigs - which if I don't, will go into storage, in the event that I eventually find one.

In the interim, I will consider room-flexible options such as the Mini-Mag, the LRS, or a very affordable yet highly regarded bookshelf speaker designed by an orchestral musician that you can build as a kit that features a ribbon tweeter, Philharmonic Audio BMR.

Life is imperfect - and if I had all the wealth I could require, I would own a set of properly rebuilt Scintillas and a space large enough to play them as loud my tinnitus allows.
MattC

Postby Al^ on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:39 am

Matt, Don't waste your time on MMG or LRS, the 1.7 maybe, their finicky to setup and even when you get them half fast right with some music material they'll be way off on other. My findings anyway. The Stage are far better simply put. I still have my Stages and run them with my 2+2 Acoustats in my home theater which is 2500 sq ft. Personally I didn't like the Calipers sound, had no feeling , sounded dead to me :)
Al
Al^

Postby Graz on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:27 am

Agreed regarding an unrestored Caliper. Once restored with the new return system they really come into their own...

Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Return to Apogee speaker chat