PROCEDURE FOR OVERSEAS RESTORATIONS?

The learning curve starts here!

Moderator: Graz

PROCEDURE FOR OVERSEAS RESTORATIONS?

Postby Graz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 am

Apogees have found their way to some strange places over the years, and when the need for extensive service arrives, it is often a concern for people how to get the best for their speakers. Thankfully - this is not a new problem, and certainly one that is easily solved! The first thing to do is to work out who you would like to use for the restoration. the installers and myself are all willing to help, and depending on what country you are from, there could be a preferred location for shipping. Sometimes client locations fall in between installers and if so a choice is required. Here - my advice is to contact each installer you would consider with and email AFTER exploring your shipping options - as this is often the area we are most asked about that we have the LEAST knowledge of!

A rough guide to an overseas import restoration;-

1) Contact is made, and a request is logged - and a restoration service centre selected. Pictures are requested, and sent for assessment as required

2) Contact is made BY THE CLIENT with the local representatives for Schenker - our company preferred shipping service. This company have always gotten speakers to me undamaged, though sometimes a bit late! The service you will require is "full value insured TEMPORARY EXPORT". This is because the speakers have had their duties paid locally, and they are then covered in the event of a loss. A good comparison is like sending a musical instrument overseas for "tuning".

3) Once the shipping costs have been confirmed and accepted, a date is arranged with either myself or the preferred Installer. A plan of how to make good, strong, light crates perfect for Apogee transit is sent via email, and you can build crates locally to that plan. Alternatively, as speakers are usually fully stripped down during restoration a crate substitute involving foam layers can be made up for the outward journey - and appropriate crates can be made for the more sensitive return trip.

4) Speakers are sent, and delivered to either me or the Installer. They are stripped and honestly assessed for a number of performance and build criteria, and the results sent to the client, or relayed via phone. Options can then be considered. Quotes for repair are given with a small safety margin - and once accepted a repair strategy and time-line suggested. Also - deposits requested. Once made, work commences.

5) Once the speakers are rebuilt, a short testing period commences, then the speakers are crated for return. During this time the client will be notified and informed as to the final results. Balance of payments is made in full.

6) Speakers begin their return journey, insured for their full value as per their outward shipping, but restored.

Hope this helps!

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Re: PROCEDURE FOR OVERSEAS RESTORATIONS?

Postby artm on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:56 am

Graz-

Regading #5, the "short testing period", obviously this is mandatory. Have you ever considered an additional break-in period performed by the installer?

My reasoning is threefold:

1. since a break-in period is required, some of us may find it difficult to do this effectively in the normal course of life.

2. perhaps the installer can use some sort of an accelerated break-in technique for a quicker result?

3. if there's tweaking required after a break-in period (I've never heard of this actually) it can be done at the installer's location.

In each case, the service may be better performed if in the laboratory/shop environment of the installer - assuming the proper resources are available.
artm

Return to New to Apogee faq