stacking apogee stage speakers?

The learning curve starts here!

Moderator: Graz

stacking apogee stage speakers?

Postby via-venti on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:04 pm

hi-i am new to the forum but have been using apogee stage speakers for many years.i am intend purchasing a second pair of stage speakers,in the long term to allow for spare woofer panels as they are not obtainable.but i am also thinking of using them in stacked formation and am wondering if anyone has done this with success? i will have to make a suitable metal frame ,if anyone has a design for this it would be interesting,but my main query is how to drive them without the expense of another amplifier.i currently use muse amplification which is rated at 300watts into 8ohms and 500 into 4.the system is run through a muse model18 subwoofer which take the low frequencies off the muse 300s and the stages(by the way this arrangement -relieving the amps and stages of the low end frequencies was the best upgrade i have made )in essence the stage speakers are satellites run off a high pass filter on the subwoofer.i now need to run two stages off a single power amp and had initially thought to put both woofers in series and also both tweeters in series and then have both in parallel ,the intention being to try to keep the impedance as high as possible-the stages run at about 3ohms minimum.i am unsure if this is the best arrangement and am thinking would it be better to run each panel in series off a single crossover as my initial intention would mean two crossovers in series.thoughts anyone?
via-venti

Re: stacking apogee stage speakers?

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:54 am

Hi and welcome.
Not to be unkind but try using some returns and spaces in your posts, makes it easier to read.
Nevertheless I decrypted your message and I can tell you that gallant_diva has experimented with this.
He had stacked the upper Stages upside down. You can read about his experience here.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Graz on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 am

Sounds like fun! In series the load would be about 6 ohms that way. Don't forget to post pics...

Take care - Graz
Graz
Site Admin

Postby christoph on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm

christoph

Return to New to Apogee faq