Announcement - the all new APOGEE ACOUSTICS DUETTA ADVANCE 7

Discuss anything about Apogees

Moderator: Graz

Announcement - the all new APOGEE ACOUSTICS DUETTA ADVANCE 7

Postby Graz on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:00 am

Like two full moons a new Apogee Acoustics speaker is a rare event, certainly less than frequent. With original Apogee's being expertly restored by our Installer-partners around the world, the demand for Apogee's is still being expertly met, with classic original speakers being lovingly restored for existing or new owners. BUT, once in a while an all new 'what if” creation just has to see the light of day, or twilight of the listening room!!

Announcing the new speaker from Apogee Acoustics, the Duetta Advance 7. In the past there have been six Apogee Duetta descendants, this being the seventh is something special. This is certainly my longest considered and tested design, by far. Designed to meet and surpass the requirements of familiar long term owners of real Apogee speakers, the new Duetta Advance 7 incorporates much innovation. Retaining the Apogee trademark aesthetics, the familiar face hides the tightest tolerance cnc engineered chassis, internals, and casing. The Duetta Advance 7 is made to a new level of structural strength way beyond any commercially made planar speaker to date, including all previous production Apogee's past and present. Made from new materials that will not fail in difficult climates, impervious to tropical humidity. There are no penalties for this strength – the Duetta Advance 7 retains the delightful simplicity of previous Apogee looks, with several hundred percent more rigidity where it counts!

And naturally, the ribbons feature new absolutely accurate cnc engineered XLM5.5 and KLM1 technology, to suit the uprated design. Exterior passive or optional configured active crossover versions available to order. Load is a genuine healthy 4 ohms nominal, efficiency to a level where a quality hundred watt amplifier is comfortable!

Such speakers are for the more committed audiophile - more details will follow : )
Graz
Site Admin

Re: Announcement - the all new APOGEE ACOUSTICS DUETTA ADVAN

Postby Vansloneker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Congrats to you Graz! So wonderful you've been able to engineer a new Apogee and keep the brand alive.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby christoph on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Graz

Congrats on the new speakers.
Please give us more details.

Cheers,
Christoph
christoph

Postby EldRick on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Happy Birthday! (not that I could likely afford them)

Best,
Rick
Graz/Rich'ed Duetta Sigs, Parasound JC-1+, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF 2, Roon, trick wires and all that other stuff.
EldRick

Postby User211 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Very interested in hearing these, just to see what is possible.

Pics & more info definitely welcome.

Good luck with them Graz.
User211

Postby artm on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 pm

...for the "more committed audiophile".

I knew all audiophiles are to some degree "committed". I suppose the questions is to how much?

So, how much are these and what will it take to get them mass produced, to some degree? My point is, if these are of such high promise, quality and performance it will be a shame to relegate them to a small production run for just a few lucky dogs.

Isn't it feasible yet to resurrect the Apogee brand to more than this? If not now, then when?
artm

Postby apogee_admin on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:18 pm

You really are a glass half full kind of guy aren't you Art?

Graz has already said you can get Apogees rebuilt by the installers, which if you want a pair "better than new" is an option right now for anyone.

This is an all new technology done as best as physically possible option, so unfortunately no they won't be cheap. Not that Apogees ever were, and if the original company had continued they would certainly be very expensive these days even if they were built the same way.

Jon
apogee_admin
Site Admin

Postby artm on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 am

I never said they should be or may be cheap. I know they won't be. But why is it taboo to simply ask for a price?!

My main point is that if these are so wonderful then perhaps it's time to really market them and re-establish the potential that Apogee once realized. That is, manufacture these as a REAL speaker brand, get them reviewed in influential magazines (Stereophile) and let the sales grow.

It will be a shame to relegate these to cult/niche status, as has been the Apogee way for a while now. I would love to see these become an engineering AND economic success. Surely I am not alone...
artm

Postby Vansloneker on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:34 am

never mind
Last edited by Vansloneker on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby artm on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:55 pm

I am not arguing. I am discussing the possibility of expanding the exposure of this speaker to benefit Graz and the brand. Surely, if he can pump out one of these per week to customers he would welcome that? So, how to do that? Get them reviewed and noticed.

But, by all means, let's ask for pretty pictures of something we already know how it looks. Oh, perhaps we can see pics of the new advancements - yes, stiffer materials, better ribbons, crossovers. These are all good but what are you going to see in pics?!

Furthermore, Graz can't get into many more details than this. The proof of all this development must be heard and purcashed. It can be done so by a few of us (you) or more. I simply would prefer the latter.
artm

Postby Graz on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Funny thing is on the times I have released new speakers, squabbling has always marred it. Every time. I actually don't look forward to a new speaker release in all honesty. With a short mention made here, already I am getting business advice and chastisement over an (undisclosed) price!! And the added extra of an individual looking in for details/pictures of my release in mistaken anticipation he can tweak his knock-off to equal it : )

Those that have contacted me with serious curiosity from a future ownership perspective know what they need to and the response is positive. Exact specifics of where they will be, review details are yet to be decided. Prices will be befitting a 130+kg speaker of it's sound quality, expensive materials and construction, made in limited numbers for those than can appreciate them. There is a range of prices and options - what is being discussed is not a million miles from Wilson's Alexia.

With numbers - remember I have the original Apogee production details, and have also offered "Classic" rebuilds for those that want them since 2005 at the sort of prices speculated above. These speakers are not made like these classic type. Apogee' previous two owners sold at prices and with strategies that both failed economically, a historical fact - I also have the figures there. I would never discuss numbers or "strategies" with people/strangers in open forum, and remember - I have been doing this for 15 years now and so have an idea who my clients are.

Lastly, Arthur, specifically. Having read the way you have referred to me in print on other forums I am in no way mistaken as to your intent and whether or not anything I can do can attract anything but disdain from you by so long as I draw breath! I have done you no harm - please treat me as I have treated you. As I see it, there is nothing positive you can give or get from this thread.
Graz
Site Admin

Postby artm on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Graz-

You are TOTALLY mistaken as to my motives. I have never criticized you personally nor with disdain; perhaps a bit early on when I got into Apogees but it was never personal. In fact, I have enjoyed all our direct discussions and I believe Ihave been more than civil to you.

Please read my post. There is nothing there except curiosity, praise and hope. Am I missing something here?

I am simply minimally curious as to the price of such an achievement and more so on the possibility to expand its exposure to more listeners. How is this in any way negative toward you or your product? Why is asking for a price on expensive gear always taboo? Wait, I do believe the real Apogee published their prices as do all other high end manufacturers. Why not you?

I am in no way interested in these as an owner but not only because of the anticipated price. However, if I could make these work in my life then I would welcome that possibility. i actually envy those who have the ability to own and enjoy these at their full potential.

For now, I would love to see a review in Stereophile or other equally lofty publications, simply as a curiosity. I think you would also welcome this as there would no doubt of their success.

So, let's move on. I certainly wish you continued success. You've come a long way.
artm

Postby dimitri on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Congratulations Grahaeme on the new speaker!!!
I trust that this will help to grow the brand further.

My thoughts are as follows.

I would be interested to know how the Advance compares to the Duetta Signature, or even more importantly, to the Synergies that it replaces - as mentioned elsewhere in the forum.
It would be great to get a review on an influential magazine such as Stereophile or the Absolute Sound, but I doubt it is going to happen.
You see Stereophile has a reviewing policy. A product in order to be eligible for a review, it must be "carried" by a healthy number of dealers in North America.
The Absolute Sound has a fixation with Magnepans (partially justified IMHO), and has not reviewed any competing magnetostatic speakers in ages...
Regarding value, I would not be surprised if the Advance 7's turn out dearer than the Synergies. That would make them very expensive, but there is still a market for these.
One only has to see at the success stories of relatively new brands such as Vivid Audio or Magico. Then again the resources dedicated in these efforts both in finances and manpower can not be underestimated.
For those of us who cannot afford these, we still have our classic Apogees to treasure, and they still do represent excellent value.
FinaIly, I would rather not see more technical details on the Advance 7's discussed publicly, for obvious reasons...

Kind Regards
Dimitri
dimitri

Postby christoph on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Hello Graz

I'm especially interested in the sensitivity and the resistance of the new model. Ok, the frequency range is important to... :mrgreen:
In other words: will it be tube friendly? :roll:

Cheers,
Christoph
christoph

Postby Graz on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks to those commenting with sincerity and positivity, really appreciated.

Sensitivity. After consideration I decided it was best to set this close to the Duetta Signature, a little higher. Frequency response, I would have to say a little lower, and noticably higher. Across all of the range the speaker is simply much more descriptive, delving deeper into the emotive side of music. Tube friendly - moreso in so much as the resistance is real-world even top to bottom, allowing tubes to weave their magic unhindered...

Price. Here in Australia I have a set price, but what I am trying to do is work out channels to my associates that will keep the global pricing disparity to a fair minimum.

For now - here is a picture to put a familiar face to the name. Beauty is skin deep some may say, and under this skin is a a body of solid metal...

Graz
Site Admin

Postby User211 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 pm

You have to buy that pair Christoph they are in your colour... :)
User211

Postby Vansloneker on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:29 am

I am curious about the caps that are utilized in the crossover.
poor guy
Vansloneker

Postby Graz on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:17 pm

A man has to have some secrets : )
Graz
Site Admin

Return to Apogee speaker chat